Punaweb Forum
Things you miss and don't miss... - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Things you miss and don't miss... (/showthread.php?tid=7114)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Things you miss and don't miss... - TonyB - 03-31-2010

from where you moved from, and things you appreciate about Hawaii?
This subject came up on the Atlanta Puna Party thred.

I haven't moved yet, but I know I'll miss the four F's...family, friends, food, and financial fredom(good jobs)..LOL.

Things I won't miss...Traffic..although there is some already developing driving from Pahoa to Hilo am and vice versa pm. Pace of life...although I'll have to learn to gear it down once I move over. Being land locked, and all the rude people.

Things I look forward to..simpler way of life, learning to surf/paddle board, joining a canoe club, making new friends, enjoying nature and it's bountiful explorations.

Aloha, Tony
Atlanta/Kapoho

RE: Things you miss and don't miss... - dmbwest - 04-01-2010

Good pizza and beer !

Thats it though ... really.

aloha,
pog

RE: Things you miss and don't miss... - Samdooby - 04-01-2010

Things I miss: Family, carnecerias, taco trucks...

Things I dont miss: Crowdedness, rude people

RE: Things you miss and don't miss... - Frankie Stapleton - 04-01-2010

A REAL RIPE GEORGIA PEACH!!!!

RE: Things you miss and don't miss... - KeaauRich - 04-01-2010

good corn on the cob..the island variety of corn just doesn't cut it for me...

RE: Things you miss and don't miss... - Kapohocat - 04-01-2010

All the things I thought I missed (except family and friends) since I hadn't been home in a few years I found they are nice but are no comparison to my island life.

It's nice to think of those things (like Martino's Bakery teacakes in Burbank, every electronics store you can think of, nice restaurants) but in reality... not being on the 5/134/210/101 freeway and only having our little Keaau traffic between 3-6 PM starts to make up for it. As we flew back in to 80 deg in Kona from 44 in Las Vegas and 60's in the SFV.... and 78% humidity compared to less than 10%... My partner said "I know why everyone drives really nice cars in LA - they spend more time in them than their homes..."

Can you really exchange a decent pizza or taco for 2 hrs in traffic (especially when you get to smell the Huli chicken while waiting to merge in keaau)?

And my family and friends are coming to visit us so we get the best of both worlds now!

RE: Things you miss and don't miss... - mella l - 04-01-2010

CAt welcome home!

How did you Forget THE 405? LOL

mella l

NO, really? Assume the best!

RE: Things you miss and don't miss... - DanielP - 04-01-2010

We live in Glenwood half the year and between Mt. Shasta and Mt. Lassen in Northern California, the other half. Unlike many of the previous posters, our California home area is less congested than Puna. 100 miles from Home Depot. Friendly folks and a easy going life pace. Very cold Winters.

We just returned home and I just came in from grading the potholes out of the road. It started to snow hard. I am planning to go skiing Tuesday! Creek is swolen with the Spring thaw.

The Daffodils are blooming and the brisk nip in the air blushes my nose.

As we drove North from SF airport, left Hwy 80 and turned north on 505, I noticed how uncluttered the roadway was. Speed limits didn't change every half mile. Range cattle grazing in the Spring grass. New Paving! And Open Road!

We are blessed and thankful to be able to live in both fabulous places. Life is good. Aloha to all of our friends in Hawaii, see you soon.

RE: Things you miss and don't miss... - Kapohocat - 04-01-2010

quote:
Originally posted by mella l

CAt welcome home!

How did you Forget THE 405? LOL

mella l

NO, really? Assume the best!

Mella - it has gotten so much worse! 8:30 PM heading south from the SFV and still crowded!

-Cat

RE: Things you miss and don't miss... - robguz - 04-01-2010

The biggest for me are the 4Fs Tony mentioned. Seeing a concert every once in a while would be nice, but it isn't something I did much on the mainland and I couldnt' afford it now anyway. I've only been here two years so I don't ever think about what I miss, but I think all the time about all the things I have here that I never had in CA. I don't miss year round allergies and medication to deal with them. I can't even really take the mainland, and even trips to Oahu for the day for work make me depressed about how paved over and awful it is.

While the variety of food here is less, I now each much better and routinely eat things I never did in CA. I'll take 3 for a dollar papayas over $3 for 1 papaya anyday! I grow much of my own food here which would have required far more work and been impossible half the year in CA. A decent health food store would be nice. Ethiopian restaurants would be nice too.

I don't miss traffic, aggro people, rude workers, threats of violence-looking over my shoulder, cold weather (meaning under 65, hah!), massive consumerism, miserable people, nature being some thing you have to go out of your way to find, street lights, not seeing the moon and stars, constantly feeling like a rat in a cage, public transportation, rampant homelessness, parking hassles. I'm stressing myself out even thinking about the mainland!