Punaweb Forum
Social Networking - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Social Networking (/showthread.php?tid=7125)

Pages: 1 2 3

Social Networking - TonyB - 04-03-2010

My wife and I had the pleassure of having dinner with Punagirl and her husband last night. We had a great time and felt like we made new friends that share our Hawaiian dream. We are already planning our next "get together"...

Question

What kind of social networking takes place on the Big Island?
How have you all made new friends...church, canoe clubs, hiking clubs, dinner clubs, etc.?
I'm asking because we are eventually moving there without family and friends and look forward to making new friends. Any advice, experiences, links to these groups, or ideas are much appreciated.

Mahalo, Tony
Atlanta/Kapoho

RE: Social Networking - Greg - 04-03-2010

I (and my ohana) long been involved in outrigger canoe racing, and highly reccomend joining a canoe club. The Big Island Canoe associaton (MOKU O Hawaii) has a dozen or so clubs scattered around the island. It consists of over a thousand paddlers from ten years old to senior citizens, and from novice to experienced paddle junkies.

If physical activity isn't your thing there are plenty of volunteer roles to fill in the staging of regattas.

There is a regatta season from May to September that culminates with a State Championship Regatta held alternatly on different Islands. Regatta season is followed by a long distance racing season that ends with the famous Molokai Hoe from Molokai to O'ahu. There is also a "one man" canoe association and season that is just ending.

The reason that Paddling is such a great social networking venue is the fantastic diversity of people engaged in this hawaiian cultural practice. from Tongan Doctors and nurses to Ha'ole stone setters(or is it the other way around?[Big Grin]) They practice, race, and party as one family. Most clubs are starting to practice now and welcome novice paddlers. If one club has their novice crews filled out, you can generally move down the beach and find a seat.

If there's a drawback, it's that the East Hawaii scene is centered in Hilo, at Bayfront. If you work in Hilo, it's easier, but if you have to commute from Puna it can be more of a commitment than some people can handle. Practices are typically three times a week pau Hana, with races on saturdays at Hilo or Kailua/Kona.

Puna Canoe Club is the current state Champion (AA) and is located at the Green boats at Bayfront. Puna originally paddled out of Kalapana, and like all the Big Island Clubs use a beautiful Koa Canoe for racing that is like paddling a living artifact.

Check it out.

RE: Social Networking - punagirl - 04-03-2010

Tony, it was great meeting you guys last night. Had a great time and can't wait to get together again. If there are any other Atlanta area folks lurking on here I encourage you to join us. We had a good meal and a lot of fun. Plus I am a super cool person (hahaha).

My networking experience started with people I met through Punaweb & Konaweb. For a while I hosted some pretty big potlucks when I was on vacation. I think even people already living there networked and made new friends out of the potlucks. I may have to do one again next trip. The people I have met through the internet sites have introduced me to others that don't come to this board.

I think once I am there I will continue to meet new folks through the group I know and maybe joining a club or taking a class.

Atlanta/Pahoa

RE: Social Networking - John S. Rabi - 04-03-2010

Tony, finding friends here is like finding a girlfriend in the Philippines. If you run fast enough one will catch you! [Big Grin][Big Grin][Big Grin] Seriously, making friends is the same here as everywhere else, unless you are a loner and hide behind closed doors.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,PB,ABR,CRB,CM,FHS
johnrabi@johnrabi.com
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
(This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors http://KonaBoardOfRealtors.info)

RE: Social Networking - Devany - 04-03-2010

We have more dear friends here than anywhere we have ever lived. I think that we are like minded orphans of a sort.... without our families and mainland friends we find people who love great food and wine and laughing. It is awesome.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com

RE: Social Networking - TonyB - 04-03-2010

Devaney,
I've followed your blogs, enjoyed your art, and salivated as I took in all your cooking creations. I hope one day we have the pleasure of meeting you....LOL...and tasting some of that food.
Aloha, Tony
Atlanta/Kapoho

RE: Social Networking - dmbwest - 04-03-2010

Hi Greg,

R U paddling for Puna this year ????

John ... understood ... Tried running from Japan 3X, Germany and Brasil once but a Thai was the fastest : )

aloha,
pog

RE: Social Networking - kani-lehua - 04-03-2010

the friends we have met here are more like family than the relatives we left behind on o'ahu.

how did we meet these people:

1. on punaweb
2. at the lamont's punaweb party/gathering. EVERYONE took us under their wings. mom was with us at the time and pam made sure she was well cared-for and comfortable.
3. at scuba/beach sunday
4. the big island international cooking club

a big mahalo to those of you who have made living on the BI interesting, amusing, entertaining and fulfilling.

"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

RE: Social Networking - Greg - 04-03-2010

I'm still affiliated, and do the awards for the club, but don't plan on paddling this year. It's just too difficult to get to bayfront so often. I'm lucky if I get to pohoiki once a week, and my goal is at least twice. [V]

RE: Social Networking - Kapohocat - 04-04-2010

After years (20) of being the new kids on the island.... I finally feel like I am an old timer!

Here is a small world - one of our clients works for the FD in Vancouver. My little brother works for the FD in Los Angeles. Turns out they are auntie to one of my brother's LAFD friend/coworker.

Vancouver-LA-Puna Small world!