Punaweb Forum
Finally coming back - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Finally coming back (/showthread.php?tid=758)

Pages: 1 2

Finally coming back - NYCbert - 11-27-2006

Aloha everyone Smile
Long time lurker, first time poster.

It's been over a year since our last vacation. My wife and I both fell in love with the Bis Island and promised ourselves that we'd soon return with a big wad of cash and buy ourselves a slice of paradise Big Grin

So, over a year later we've got plane tickets for New Years' day and a week to spend finding a place to build a house in the woods and spend many happy years pointing and laughing at the rest of humanity.

I've monitoring hawaiiinformation.com and researching the Puna subdivisions. I know we'll get a better idea during our visit, but I've picked out a few places that look very attractive. Hawaiian acres, Fern acres and Hawaiian Orchid Island Est all look very tempting. After 8 years in NYC I'm looking forward to some isolation! Yes, we're kind of torn between a big property with no utilities and no roads to speak of, and a small lot with all ameneties. How to choose?

Does anyone know about Olaa Reservation Lots? There's some huge (10 acre) lots for sale there within our price range. I know there must be a downside somewhere!

So a question for everyone - if you had a budget of $150K, where in Puna would you choose to live?

Mahalo everyone!

RE: Finally coming back - oink - 11-27-2006

Don't know. I spent about that but got 3 lots. Two side by sides on 3rd St in HPP and a lot in Ohia Estates. If I had another 150 I might get a lot in Volcano Country Club. But that one isn't in Puna. It's actually in Kau, but just barely. Kau has some other nice areas too, but they tend do be even more isolated than anything in Puna. The areas you mentioned are in the rain belt. Very misty and pretty and wet. Many of the members of this forum live in the general Pahoa area, some close to the coast. That tends to be a drier area, as does the areas of HPP that are near the ocean. Take enough time and have fun finding what you like best. If possible rent a few days in the area you think you like. I love the Volcano Village area as it reminds me of Hobe Sound Fla of 20 years ago, but wetter and cooler.

S. FL Islander to be

RE: Finally coming back - Seeb - 11-27-2006

You mite want to try renting in the area your thinking about 1st,living here is alot diffrent than vacationing here

RE: Finally coming back - Hotzcatz - 11-27-2006

Seebs got the right idea. Unless you have to do a 1031 and buy the property within a certain time frame, renting and living here for awhile first will do wonders for your final choice of property. Also, the way things are going, you might save some money by waiting a bit.

RE: Finally coming back - NYCbert - 11-27-2006

Yeah, we've considered renting for a summer - kind of an extended working vacation. We won't be looking at moving for another 2-3 years, another step to moving is building our online motion graphic buisiness to a point where we can work from a 'virtual' office.

So whan you say 'the way things are going' - do you expect a drop in property prices in the near future?

RE: Finally coming back - oink - 11-27-2006

Oh my gosh! Don't ask that here. Try the existing and often very hotly debated thread already on that subject here: Decline in Real Estate. Watch out for guns and knives.
You may have to right click on the link and then left click "Open in New Window".

S. FL Islander to be

Edited by - oink on 11/28/2006 03:18:37

RE: Finally coming back - Carolann R - 11-28-2006

We live in Hawaiian Shores (and love it here...but not as isolated as you seem to want)...probably would buy in Kalapana Seaview Estates if I could...or if I won the lottery it would be Kapoho Beach Lots (alrighty - one can dream...)

Carrie

"To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater." Bono
http://www.hellophoenix.com/art/dreamhawaii.Cfm

Edited by - Carolann R on 11/28/2006 05:53:44

RE: Finally coming back - G. Leis - 11-28-2006

Hello and welcome!

You might check the Your Favorite Subdivision thread over in the Building in Puna Forum to give you some ideas.

aloha,
Gene

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

RE: Finally coming back - Kapohocat - 11-28-2006

Olaa - out the Hamakua Coast? As much as I love Puna.... I would ditch it all in a heartbeat for Hamakua --- just cant get my SO to budge, he loves Puna...

Only thing to remember out there is if there is a accident on the Belt Road - you gotta stop, very few alternate accesses...unless you are a pig hunter with mega 4WD....

-Cat

Catherine Dumond
Blue Water Project Management
808 217-7578
http://bluewaterpm.125mb.com/index.html
"We help make building your dream home a reality"

RE: Finally coming back - mella l - 11-28-2006

Check out the Building forum for the sub division information. Lots of stories there!

mella l