Punaweb Forum
Mexican Food - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Mexican Food (/showthread.php?tid=795)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Mexican Food - Kapohocat - 12-19-2006

I totally forgot I was going to tell you all but before we went to mainland we ate at the new Mexican place at Keaau in the open air market! Baja style food! It was great - beats the other two places that serve Mex hands down. Cant remember the name of the place, though. Tathina's I think.

RE: Mexican Food - loffelkopffl - 12-19-2006

i had their baja burrito, was pretty good, cost $5.00.

RE: Mexican Food - Robin C - 12-20-2006

Thanks for the heads up.
I'm always on the look out for good Mexican food.
I'll stop by and check 'em out.

Robin

RE: Mexican Food - Les C - 12-30-2006

I stopped by today, Sat., at the Kea'au Farmers Market, but couldn't find this place. Was I in the right place: open air market = farmers market? Is it a part-time business?

There's a place in Shipman Bus. Park that sells Mexican food, next to Natural Pacific (the tofu place). I think it has a small place to eat and you do can take out. The vegetarian tamales were great. It's called Emma's Mexican Food and/or Big Island Mexican Food. Take the first left (Wiliama Place) after turning into the biz park. It's on the left.

RE: Mexican Food - macuu222 - 12-30-2006

For Mexican food...there's only one place on this island that has atmosphere (beautiful sunsets from your open air table), excellent food and great drinks (A Lefty's Magagretta with a shot of Grand Mariner)..... and thats "Pancho And Lefty's" on Ali Dr. in downtown Kona.

RE: Mexican Food - Beachboy - 12-31-2006

This is a joke,right?! There is not a single good mexican eatery in the entire state! At least that is my opinion on the matter. I'm very fond of AUTHENTIC Mexican Food Most of what you do find in Hawaii is variations of Tex/Mex food, or California/Mexican cuisine.

What is Mexican Food? If your idea of Mexican food is say a Taco, crispy corn tortilla, with hamburger meat topped with shredded cheese, lettuce & tomatoes, and a splash of salsa...you're in for a big surprise! A real Mexican taco has neither hamburger, cheese, tomatoe, or lettuce, let alone a crispy corn tortilla!? A real, authentic Mexican Taco comes on two small size tortillas with shredded beef, topped with cilantro & onion with salsa of choice,...and nada mas!
Taco Bell may taste good to the western palate, but there is really nothing Mexican about Taco Bell whatsoever, and the same can be said about most Mexican grind places in and around the state.

Edited by - beachboy on 12/31/2006 06:34:11

RE: Mexican Food - Carolann R - 12-31-2006

I was told about that little Mexican place at Shipman's when we first came here to pick out our house...I take it she's just open for lunch for the business park people...comes with good recommendations...

P.S. I have to say the tamales at Makuu Market are outstanding...I do better Mex Rice, but dang the beans and tamales are great!

Carrie

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx

http://www.hellophoenix.com/art/dreamhawaii.Cfm

Edited by - Carolann R on 12/31/2006 06:34:49

RE: Mexican Food - oink - 12-31-2006

I think most of the tacos I get have tongue in them, not shredded beef. The cilantro & onion sounds about right. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I eat authentic Mexican, Central American, Dominican or Puerto Rican food nearly every day for lunch.

S. FL Islander to be

RE: Mexican Food - Carolann R - 12-31-2006

They only have chicken and pork tamales...no beef usually. I didn't know they have tacos too...have never seen them sell it (yet). Are we talkin' about the same vendor?

Oink, where do you get your Mexican food from? We'd love to know...Tony's Mex/Amer and we weren't thrilled with Luquins, but I have heard you have to catch Luquins when the right chef is cooking...John Dirgo knows his name, I forgot.

Carrie

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx

http://www.hellophoenix.com/art/dreamhawaii.Cfm

Edited by - Carolann R on 12/31/2006 09:22:28

RE: Mexican Food - punagirl - 12-31-2006

I get crucified every time I mention that Luquins sucks. We gave it another chance this past November. As always...crapy.
I think a lot of folks like it for the bar & the fact that it has hung in through tough times in Pahoa. I always get slammed when I mention how "un-authentic" the food is. Post quickly follow (mostly on the Konaweb) that Luquins is great because the owners are nice. They may be nice but the service is horrendous and the food isn't too good. In fact, I would rather make an Old El Paso dinner than Luquis. I could actually cook the meal, eat it & wash dishes in less time than the Nov. meal of nachos took.

I enjoy authentic Mexican dishes but you have to remember that Mexico is a large country and each region cooks a bit differently. Beachboy is right. If there is cheese dip on the menu, you are not in a "real" Mexican spot. I must admit, I do enjoy Tex-Mex when it is prepared with fresh ingredients. I just take it for what it is. If I want real Mexican I head to certain areas in Atlanta (or when in CA I head to Ceasar Chavez Blvd. area!!!).

Now I will sign off as the husband is calling me to help him eat a big piece of the Tres Leches cake I made. Mmmmmmmmmm.

Atlanta/Pahoa