Punaweb Forum
Dog Prices - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Dog Prices (/showthread.php?tid=8228)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Dog Prices - Cagary - 12-24-2010

What is with the prices people are asking for dogs on Big Island craigslist?

Yes I know they are pure Bred whatevers and they make great pets, watchdogs, etc.

However, $400, $600, $1,100 (re homing fees)for a puppy/dog? Its true all the shots and deworming costs are not cheap, but they don't cost hundreds of dollars.

Due to the current economic conditions, many people are leaving for the mainland and are not able to take their animals with them. I would imagine the shelters are full of great dogs (some even pure bred). The dogs aren't free from the shelter, but the fees don't amount to that much.

Are the dogs really being sold at these prices? Who has this kind of money today?

RE: Dog Prices - Kelena - 12-24-2010

The Banksters who just got a tax cut have this kind of money.
I got my girl at the humane society. She had been abandoned twice before. I paid $50 for her. She was microchipped and spayed.
I think I got a deal: http://www.flickr.com/photos/punaguy/5251906448/

RE: Dog Prices - mdd7000 - 12-24-2010

I wonder about the extent of the gene pool for dogs on the island.
Maybe that explains why so many dogs are vicious?

RE: Dog Prices - csgray - 12-24-2010

I would say it has more to do with the gene pool of all the owners who use dogs as living fences and completely neglect socializing them. If you spent most of your life on a 5 foot chain you might be vicious too.

Carol

RE: Dog Prices - JerryCarr - 12-24-2010

The prices, particularly for purebred or registered, reflect the geographic isolation of the island and quarantine laws which were recently loosened somewhat. In the case of some breeds, it is cheaper to buy on the mainland and pay for all the costs of importing and certification. We were told by two separate vets that we would be wise to get mutts because so many of the purebreds hereabouts are inbred to the extent that undesireable breed-specific traits such as hip dysplasia and certain cancers have been amplified in the local populations. One of the locally bred Rottweilers that came with our house died of bone cancer that the vet attributed to this tendency. (He was a sweetheart and never came close to living up to the reputation of the breed for violence.) This price differential may change now that it is somewhat easier to get mainland breeding stock into the islands, but it will take many generations and better breeding practices than is generally seen around here to improve the genetic stock.

Of course this is not to say that ALL local purebred dogs fall into this category. Many are just fine, but a buyer would be wise to check everything out carefully before spending the kind of money asked.

RE: Dog Prices - KeaauRich - 12-24-2010

Why anyone would pay $400 for a "purebred" dog sold by the side of the road when they can get a cute puppy or house-trained slightly older dog at the Humane Society for $80 (including license fee, chipping, spay/neutering,and all shots) is beyond me. And if you want two dogs, they've had a "two-for-one" special running for a while now.

RE: Dog Prices - SandyS - 12-24-2010

Glen, You are right, Mindy is a cutie. Our guy also came from the Humane Society. He is a lab mix. He needed a bit of care to boost his confidence when we got him. He was pretty shy. He is about 2 years old and acted as if he was never taught how to play with a ball or other dog toys. Turns out he is easily taught. He plays nice with toys, people and other dogs now. Now if I could just get him to stop shredding coconuts all over the lanai!

RE: Dog Prices - missydog1 - 12-24-2010

There have been people willing to pay a lot for purebreds for centuries. There are people willing to spend a lot for rare brikabrak that I think is hideous. Whether or not I could imagining spending the money (I can't), it just is. Part of the great mass of human interests that are different from mine ... or in this case from the average Punawebber's desires.

Who has this kind of money?
Have you been to the west side lately?
My younger son is working on the founder of Yahoo's house. His swimming pool alone cost more than my entire house and land. There are plenty of people who can drop serious money to get the dog they want.

RE: Dog Prices - csgray - 12-24-2010

There may be a lot of money on some parts of the Island, but I doubt the super rich shop craigslist for their dogs, so that doesn't explain people asking huge sums for dogs without papers, or even mixed breeds, here. Right now someone is listing Maltese/chihuahua crosses for $250, anywhere but Hawaii that would be a $25 dog.

Purebred dogs were a relatively recent Victorian invention, adopted by the new British middle class that was a result of the industrial revolution. Before that dogs were purely bred for function, not looks. The Kennel Clubs in the UK and United States set breed standards solely based on appearance and really narrowed the gene pools of many breeds, chocolate labs for example, were all destroyed at birth not that long ago. Both PBS Nature and National Geographic have recently had fascinating documentaries on the co-history of dogs and people.

Carol

RE: Dog Prices - Radiopeg - 12-24-2010

I have rescue cats I love to pieces. My favorite dog was my first Chow. She was left to me by someone moving. I loved her so much if I could have afforded to clone her I would have done so. I bought our next Chow. She shares many personality traits of my first Chow, and I am glad to have her. Next one will be an adoptee of some kind, only because I can't afford a pure Chow puppy. You can't buy the devotion you get from a good pet. I can imagine both ways of getting a good pet. But I can't imagine paying more than a few bucks for a mixed breed. They sell them here in WA, too. There are so many animals that could use a good home. Puzzles the heck out of me.