Punaweb Forum
Convenience store in HPP - now open - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Convenience store in HPP - now open (/showthread.php?tid=8318)

Pages: 1 2 3

Convenience store in HPP - now open - rbakker - 01-07-2011

We stopped in at Hawaii Cargo on 31st and Makuu in HPP today.
Handy little convenience store selling fruit, vegetables, eggs, milk, soda etc as well as clothes and souvenirish items. Convenience store prices too, but it saves me a drive. Very nice lady working there.

I alway wondered why HPP (with a population of 10,000+) didn't have any convenience stores, and suddenly - there is one!

No booze or cigarettes; that was part of the deal apparently.

RE: Convenience store in HPP - now open - dmbwest - 01-07-2011

Awesome news ... hope they do great !

aloha,
pog

RE: Convenience store in HPP - now open - PaulW - 01-08-2011

At last!

RE: Convenience store in HPP - now open - macuu222 - 01-09-2011

Yes...now all they need to do is make it a little more presentable. I must have driven by there a few dozen times while they were open and never knew it was a store.

RE: Convenience store in HPP - now open - rbakker - 01-09-2011

That's what I said too, but they're not allowed to put up a big sign. Also part of the conditions.

RE: Convenience store in HPP - now open - JerryCarr - 01-09-2011

While I am glad that there is at least something in the way of retail in HPP, this begs the question of why at least one of the 20-acre parcels designated as commercial in the HPP Master Plan and the Puna CDP is not zoned as such. The Special Use Permit process has its uses, but it can thwart sensible development by taking pressure off the bigger picture. And, as noted above, it usually comes with conditions that make doing business less than optimum.

RE: Convenience store in HPP - now open - EightFingers - 01-10-2011

How much was the milk?

RE: Convenience store in HPP - now open - Bob Orts - 01-10-2011

quote:
Originally posted by JerryCarr

While I am glad that there is at least something in the way of retail in HPP, this begs the question of why at least one of the 20-acre parcels designated as commercial in the HPP Master Plan and the Puna CDP is not zoned as such.
They have not been asked to change the zoning.

This is a controversial subject because it gets great mileage to blame the County for lack of commercial zoning. However the truth doesn’t have the same soapbox. It is the property owners who are the ones who decide which of the two zonings they want. If anyone has a question as to why a lot in HPP that is designated for commercial development still has an AG zoning, they should be directing it to the property owners, not the County. The County of Hawaii has a legal binding obligation to change those lots designated for commercial development when a change is requested, but until the property owner ask, they also have a legal binding obligation to keep it as is.

RE: Convenience store in HPP - now open - JerryCarr - 01-10-2011

Bob, you make a very good point. The properties in question (20-acre parcels) are mostly owned by the HPP Owners Association, but one is still owned by the original developers, the Watamull family. The one owned by the Watamull's is generally considered the best potential commercial location. The HPPOA also has to deal with deed restrictions on some of the 20-acre parcels which it owns, further limiting, but not altogether precluding, action on the Association's part. If you re-read my post, you will note that I did not place blame solely on the County. Re-zonings indeed have to be iniated by interested parties. Matters are further complicated by the fact that many HPP residents would rather not contemplate the place being built out, and commercial development could speed that process by providing amenities that would induce residential construction. It's very complex.

RE: Convenience store in HPP - now open - Dinamight - 01-11-2011

I stopped there and got some fruit. Good prices, considering they are a convenience store.

I think she said the half gallon milk was $3.50 and the gallon around $6 (and maybe some change, I don't remember)
At the moment there is not much choice in milk, but she said if she puts too much out it spoils because they don't have enough customers yet. It's going to be a fine balance to satisfy the shoppers requests and not lose too much money on spoilage. I hope it works out for them, they must have worked very hard to get this up and running.