Punaweb Forum
Car Clubs on Big Island? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Car Clubs on Big Island? (/showthread.php?tid=8470)

Pages: 1 2

Car Clubs on Big Island? - freestate - 01-30-2011

Wondering if anyone here is involved with or knows anyone involved with old car restoration.

It was my hobby back on the mainland and occasionally I see a car show pop up but haven't seen too much activity.

Main interest is 60's imports, I'm a Volvo guy but am interested in Euro and Japanese from the era.

Thanks for any tips.

RE: Car Clubs on Big Island? - mdd7000 - 01-30-2011

I have some extensive Datsun 240Z experience...but I have seen all of one 240z on the island in several years and it wasn't pretty. Saw it near Cost-U-Less a few months ago.
After experimenting with British and Japanese cars I graduated to late '60's US muscle cars. I got tired of electrical issues with the British ones. It isn't fun when the headlights go out in the dark.

RE: Car Clubs on Big Island? - freestate - 01-30-2011

Every hobby has its subsets. I lean to roundfender Volvo, not the the bricks.

122's are what I'm into, but also like the 1800 and 544/444. Really great old cars, so overengineered; gotta love the Swedes.

I've seen one 544 out here and saw one of those funky 1800ES sport wagons on Google Streetview but never on the road.

There is a 240Z either derelict or waiting for restoration couple miles outside Waimea. Had a buddy into Z's back in Portland, great cars. We were able to find common ground with the SU carbs. I love those SU's, so simple once you figure them out.

RE: Car Clubs on Big Island? - aunty - 01-30-2011

I'd like to see muscle cars collectors get together. I would participate in a show n shine. Bring out those classic muscle cars. Time to strut and shine

RE: Car Clubs on Big Island? - mdd7000 - 01-30-2011

SU carbs. [xx(]
I converted all 3 240z's, 2 MGB's and a TR7 I owned to downdraft Webers.
Quicker starting, more power.

RE: Car Clubs on Big Island? - wyline - 01-31-2011

muscle cars / hemis...count me in

Wyline

RE: Car Clubs on Big Island? - amf217 - 02-01-2011

Plan to ship both my old Muscle cars to the Bi so would like to see a show and shine.
1974 T/A 455 SD, 78000 miles all original bought it new,and a 68 Nova with a DZ302 engine

RE: Car Clubs on Big Island? - freestate - 02-01-2011

Musclecar muscleheads...[Big Grin]

Musclecars are great, unless you want to turn or stop or drive more than twenty miles from a gas station. Other than that...

Joking aside I do love 60's early 70's musclecars and will be looking out for that '74 T/A, an all time favorite.

Speaking of favorites, best car movie? "Dirty Mary Crazy Larry" is close but "Vanishing Point" has to take top honors.

If you musclecar guys ever organize a show, be sure and put it on Punaweb.

RE: Car Clubs on Big Island? - Hotzcatz - 02-02-2011

The muscle car groups have frequent poker runs. Those are fun. The model T folks shipped all their cars over here a year or so ago and rolled all around the island. That was fun. If you have a nice restored car they will let you play, you don't have to have a car exactly specific to their group. We've got a '52 MGTD wannabe - no SU carbs or Lucas the Prince of Darkness involved with a kit car. The MGTD can play with the muscle car group as well as the model T group. We were thinking of starting a Red Car Car Club, didn't matter what it was as long as it was some variety of red, but I think they are more interested in "old iron" now and may want to start some sort of hit-or-miss engine club instead.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

RE: Car Clubs on Big Island? - pslamont - 02-02-2011

http://www.vwclubofhawaii.com/

VW club of Hawaii out of Hilo is pretty cool

I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"