Punaweb Forum
Hiking trail head - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hiking trail head (/showthread.php?tid=8654)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Hiking trail head - Royall - 03-23-2011

A group of us is planing a hike from Kololi Point, past Shipman beach, and on to Richardson Beach. Talked to someone that said he knew a guy that walked it often but didn't know where the trail comes out at Richardson beach end. Anybody know?

Royall

RE: Hiking trail head - Rob Tucker - 03-23-2011

Follow the shoreline trail and you won't miss Richardson. The trail will end up at the road where the large condo is.

RE: Hiking trail head - csgray - 03-23-2011

If you look on Google Earth you can see where there is a road they called Kapoho Coast Road that continues on much, much farther past Richardson's than you would think, it looks like it eventually connects to a road that goes to a different black sand beach than Shipman's, but I don't see trails going towards Shipman's beach from there. If your trail connects to that road you will come out right past Richardson's where the concrete barriers are.

Carol

RE: Hiking trail head - Royall - 03-23-2011

Thanks guys! If you go from Richardson then, is the tail quite obvious? Reason I ask is, there are a few that don't want to hike all the way and will be bringing the cars for pick but do want to hike in to meet us part way. Doable? Or are we asking to get separated?

BTW Carol, I did google the area and looked at the lay of the road. Just wondering though, how far can you drive on the road that goes to the Shipman estate? Just curious if we could drive down close and start the hike from the Hilo side of Shipman.

Royall

RE: Hiking trail head - csgray - 03-23-2011

We started to drive down that road once when we lived near there and quickly decided that the combination of giant ruts and holes (think Red Road at it's worst) and the stink eye we got from the houses on the road weren't worth it. My little scion could have been eaten by some of those potholes!

I think I would want someone who had done it with me the first time I tried it in either direction, I sure wouldn't want to get lost out there. On the other hand, my days of 8 mile hikes are over, at least for now.

Carol

RE: Hiking trail head - missydog1 - 03-23-2011

The Hawaiian Homelands area of Keaukaha is known for the stinkeye ... just be aware of that. My one son who has been here for years said he'd never experienced stink-eye like that anywhere else on the island. The kind where you don't do anything to earn it and still get it.
I'm sure it's not everyone but it only takes a few to give you the bad vibe.

I'm not for sure if that's where the trail goes, but from what Carol said, sounds like.

RE: Hiking trail head - csgray - 03-24-2011

We lived down there for over 2 years and walked in the Homelands neighborhood daily, never got any stink eye, in fact people were very friendly. But the people on that narrow, hidden, out of the way road sure didn't want strange cars driving down it. There were a lot of no dumping signs, so they may have been worried we were taking our rubbish for a one way scenic drive.

Carol

RE: Hiking trail head - emorata - 03-24-2011

once you pass shipman property, you should be staying closer to the cliffs where the trail mostly goes through since you are walking through private property. The caretaker has called on the cops for tresspassers before and I'm sure will not hesitate to do it again, just be careful.

Noel

http://noelmorata.blogspot.com/

RE: Hiking trail head - Royall - 03-24-2011

I was at the Shipman office in Kea'au today. They said there is a trail and several people hike it. They also tried to tell me it was a 15 mile hike(but they weren't positive)!! I really don't think so. Looking at the maps I've found, I don't think it is more than about 11 miles. But.... When I checked at the library in Hilo a few minutes ago, the trail hooks up with the Kapoho Coast road that connects with Kalanianaole Avenue, well south of the gates that used to be close all the time. I don't think it would be a fun hike if all it did is follow a road. There very well maybe trails closer to the coast, but with out trying it we'll not know. As far as the caretaker goes, I talked to one of them last time I was at the Shipman beach. He is the one that told me about the trail that continues to Richardson. Whether or not I try it this weekend I'm not sure at this point. There are other hikes to be had that aren't as long as this one!!

Thanks for the replies.....

Royall

RE: Hiking trail head - rbakker - 03-24-2011

Can't you just walk along the lava cliffs the whole way? That's the best way to get to Shipman's Beach from HPP, the inland road is mosquito-infested and muddy.