Punaweb Forum
Has anybody been feeling these at all? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Has anybody been feeling these at all? (/showthread.php?tid=877)

Has anybody been feeling these at all? - Beachboy - 01-27-2007

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Jan/27/br/br7501928634.html

RE: Has anybody been feeling these at all? - Kelena - 01-27-2007

Hey, I told you guys ---quit freaking me out...I'm in escrow.

RE: Has anybody been feeling these at all? - Carey - 01-27-2007

Glen, unless you live in Minnesota, your state has probably had some seismic activiity in your lifetime, so relax. The activity right now is normal, even a little below the average. These are all minor tremors (not felt by most people even if they are right at the epicenter, some have less movement than some heavy equipment - and some sub woofered cars- on the roadway). After the Oct. quake there were more than 4x as many tremors, most also very minor, only a handful were felt by the residents on the west side, and most of the aftershocks were not felt in Puna. That said, this is an area of earthquake potential, so it is best to have your house inspected by a professional, and to do any earthquake remediation that is suggested. Also, based on the info from those I know that had any damage (no one I know had structural damage) from the Oct quakes: make sure all of your cabinets have good latches so the doors & drawers don't open & dump their contents on the floor (lots of broken things can add up); make sure you TV & electronics are attached to a solid base; tall cabinets, artwork & shelving units should be attached to the walls, & have rails or clips or something to hold contents in place.
Of course, make sure you have a safe place for you.
Aloha, Carey

Edited by - Carey on 01/27/2007 10:24:37

RE: Has anybody been feeling these at all? - Kelena - 01-27-2007

Carey to the rescue, as usual. I was born and raised in Southern California and so have been through some serious quakes. So, you're right. And the San Diego area, where I live now, gets micro-quakes constantly. Good tip about the cabinets. I have a lot of confidence in my inspectors, so we shall see what we shall see.

RE: Has anybody been feeling these at all? - Lokahi - 01-27-2007

Glen
You are in escrow? Guess my announcement was "lost"? Congrats! Are you in escrow here in CA or in HI? Where did you buy? How very exciting. When are you lucky guys moving? Sorry....inquiring minds...
Congrats again...jealous...but ready and waiting to be in Puna.

RE: Has anybody been feeling these at all? - Les C - 01-27-2007

I moved here, uphill from the Kilauea Volcano, about a year ago after living about 35 years in the SF Bay Area. Previously, in Honolulu, I never felt a quake. In the Bay Area, I got kind of lulled by the mildness of the weak shakers. That is, until the '89 Loma Prieta quake. We personally suffered no damage in that 6.9 quake, but there was serious damage all around the Bay and even some deaths. October's 6.7 quake off the North Kona coast, for probably many reasons besides the significant 0.2 Richter scale difference, didn't feel nearly as bad in Volcano as the Loma Prieta quake felt in the South SF Bay. I was driving during both events and didn't even feel the one on the BI. But, as I was telling a friend recently, I probably felt as many of the aftershocks in Volcano in the following month as all of the quakes I've felt in the Bay Area in 35 years. I even spent the last eight years living west of and within 2 miles of the San Andreas Fault. I led hikes where we'd point out where people were stepping across the Fault.

I guess the point is, maybe the difference is like it is with the rain. There's a lot of it here (gorgeous sunny day, today, by the way), but it's so warm and mild. I don't doubt that we'll feel some bigger quakes, I've seen the historical record for this side. But it's never seemed to be a significant event, even though they have higher frequency that eruptions. And those pipsqueak quakes mentioned in the news article, I don't think you feel them unless you are laying absolutely still in a bed that magnifies the movement. Even when I feel that kind of movement, I have a hard time believing that it was a real quake. Like Carey mentioned, I feel the booming speakers in some kid's car to a greater degree.