Punaweb Forum
Blogs vs forums - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Blogs vs forums (/showthread.php?tid=9428)

Pages: 1 2 3

Blogs vs forums - csgray - 10-28-2011

Just because it is a pet peeve of mine about using inaccurate language I want to clarify the very different meanings of two words: blog and forum. I know not everyone cares about the subtle differences between related words, but for me the meanings of words matter because I want to know what the writer or speaker really meant.

A blog is a website where a given person or persons publish writings, video, pictures, or other content. The blogger controls the content, although many allow comments, and some mostly repost content created by others. Big Island Chronicle is a blog with mostly writing by the blogger and Damontucker.com is a blog with considerable reposted content with commentary and observations by the blogger.

A forum is an online community, sometimes open to all and sometimes limited to a specific group. Forums can be public where anyone can comment or join the discussion, or semi public where anyone can read but only members can post, or private where only registered members can even see the content, such as Punaonline. Some forums are unmoderated, where anyone can say anything uncensored, others have ground rules and moderators who remove comments that violate the ground rules (Punaweb is one of these). Moderated forums can be tightly or loosely moderated.

People who have a blog are called bloggers. Comments made on a blog or forum are called posts. People who comment on either blogs or forums are called posters, not bloggers.

Carol

RE: Blogs vs forums - Guest - 10-28-2011

Thank you for posting this, drives me crazy too.

RE: Blogs vs forums - Chuysmom - 10-28-2011

I know the difference and think I frequently say the wrong word in error. It's my lazy brain, I think. To me it's not a huge deal Carol, but I am not a teacher either! LOL!

These things bother ME: nucular; tumeric; their/they're/there (used incorrectly); record alblum [sic]; whether/weather; relevant not revelent or revelant; effect/affect...the list goes on unfortunately. It's really a minor irritant for me.

It also bugs me when people leave their blinkers on for miles and miles.

I just chalk it up and let it roll. That felt good to vent though! LOL!!! Sorry to hijack ya, Carol! You're a good sport though. [Wink][Wink]

Carrie

P.S. Oh yah - mispell [sic] actually bugs me - I mean, REALLY even misspell gets misspelled? [:o)]

RE: Blogs vs forums - TomK - 10-28-2011

Carol - I've always felt a little frustrated when someone refers to this place as a blog or calls people bloggers when they respond to a topic on a forum. Just saying you're not alone but never actually got around to posting something about it myself. Glad you did rather than me!

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/

RE: Blogs vs forums - oink - 10-29-2011

How is that revelant to anything a blogger posts on this forum? Isn't it there wright to post anything they want irregardless weather you like it or not.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

RE: Blogs vs forums - Kelena - 10-29-2011

oink for the win. Hilarious!!

RE: Blogs vs forums - critterlover - 10-29-2011

@CSGray, YOU DA ONE! I used to get so irritated about the mixing or misnomers but then decided it is not life threatening -- yet -- though I have had my life threatened on a blog so I decided a while back to just go with the flow. But, I concur exactly with your comments above. This is the only 'forum' I participate on and mostly because it is an eclectic group of folks who realized this is an excellent resource for all things Puna and many things Hawaii County. Over the years I have learned a lot here. I appreciate Rob's providing this gathering place. I appreciate Rob period! He and I disagree about things but he is so agreeable even when we disagree I always feel like we had a great conversation even though I generally walk away the LOSER in the discussion.

Again, from someone who truly believes deliberation and word choice is essential in self expression, THANK YOU for taking the time to share.

Question Authority!

RE: Blogs vs forums - Chuysmom - 10-29-2011

LMAO, Oink!! You are awesome![Big Grin][Big Grin]

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!!!

Carrie[:X]

P.S. IRREGARDLESS!!!!! AUGGHHHH!!!

RE: Blogs vs forums - hawaiideborah - 10-29-2011

Then there is Bush-speak. He must have driven you crazy.
I had 8 years of great belly laughs with his "unusual" vocabulary. As the president of the country he was a great vocabulary example to your students, ya? [Big Grin]

RE: Blogs vs forums - Kapohocat - 10-29-2011

quote:
Originally posted by Chuysmom...

P.S. IRREGARDLESS!!!!! AUGGHHHH!!!

Yes, Carrie!! AUGHHHH!! LOL