Punaweb Forum
Hawaiian Traditions - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hawaiian Traditions (/showthread.php?tid=956)

Pages: 1 2

Hawaiian Traditions - punagirl - 03-09-2007

I really do like learning stuff from this forum. Wondering if we could use this thread to get info on Hawaiian traditions. I know someone ask on another thread about showing your respects when someone loses a loved one. I think that question got lost and never answered. I am curious, how would you do that? What is the history behind it? What about Hawaiian weddings? In pre-contact times were there commitment ceremonies? Are there traditions associated with it? What is the symbolism behind having this huge blow out party for a baby's 1st birthday? Are there rituals assoiciated with birth? Naming a baby? You get the idea. I think it would be interesting to explain why certain events have certain traditions or rituals associated with them. I'd like to know why you shouldn't cross the mountains with a pig. Stuff like that. I think learning meanings behind traditions, even if they seem a bit silly to some, helps you understand each other better. I'd like to know about pre-contact traditions as well as current day melting pot adaptaions. I know some traditions shouldn't be participated in by those not of Hawaiian blood (be sure to point out which ones) but I'd still like to learn about them.

So what is the answer to the death in the family question?

Here in the South it is a badge of honor to have more than 150 people in attendance at your funeral. The visiting book it a family memento. Your funeral is almost as special as your wedding day. No joke. My grandmother beamed at the long lines of people waiting to pass my grandfather's coffin. When we got home that night the first thing she ask was if everyone noticed how many people were there. Mourning goes on up to the funeral, we like about 2-3 days for visitation. everyone you have every known, from the grocery clerk to people you haven't seen in over 50 years show up. YOu even go if you knew a family member of the deceased to show support. Some funerals end up being a small towns biggest social event of the year.

So what are the Hawaiian traditions? Do you send flowers? Is it wrong to go to the funeral if you were not close? I have read about some of the pre-contact rituals with burials but can someone elaborate? What is a modern Hawaiian funeral like?

Atlanta/Pahoa

RE: Hawaiian Traditions - Momi - 03-10-2007

Hi Aimee,

I did respond to Jade in an email cause I didn't want hate mongers to take things the wrong way and since a lot of people have shown to be uninterested in learning but turning everything into a racist vendata, I will respond to you if you wish to email me but for the most part your question is vague and not answerable on this form of media. These people are not ready for it. If you want to know specifi things, I can help you with that better but to give you all this information on this form of media is not applicable. I'm on my way to Milolii to teach a free class on Hawaiian herbs to the residents of this Hawaiian fishing village so they can open their minds and become educated. I will be gone later this afternoon and thinking of going to Puna tonight.

Edited by - momi on 03/10/2007 09:06:58

RE: Hawaiian Traditions - oink - 03-10-2007

Wow!

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

RE: Hawaiian Traditions - taildrag - 03-10-2007

Holy Moly! Incredible!Seemed like an honest quest to learn more about the culture!

RE: Hawaiian Traditions - Momi - 03-11-2007

The reason why I'm unable to answer her question on this form of media is that there is specific protocol for educating people and people whom I choose to teach. If Aimee, emailed me the question I would answer her because I already know that she is very respectful. Others are not. Right now, I have a (scare tactic) emailer named Frank B. who is sending me racist, nasty emails about "you so called Hawaiians" so the fact that I cannot determine what people will do with this information, makes it not applicable for this forum.

Currently, we have non hawaiians walking around telling people they are kahuna. They are exploiting the Hawaiian culture for the sake of making money and that is why I can't answer this question here.

I choose my students, they don't choose me. Any Hawaiian would do the same.

Edited by - momi on 03/11/2007 17:31:49

RE: Hawaiian Traditions - Momi - 03-11-2007

There is no simple answer to these questions. Even though I emailed her a long email, I still couldn't possibly have answered "all" of her questions in it's entirety.

Edited by - momi on 03/11/2007 21:22:08

RE: Hawaiian Traditions - Hotzcatz - 03-12-2007

I dunno about Hawaiian or not, but they do seem to have interesting coffins around here. How about blue plush with chrome trim?

RE: Hawaiian Traditions - Keith - 03-13-2007

What books would be a good start in reading about Hawaiian culture. I have heard that John Papa I'i would be a good start.

Keith

RE: Hawaiian Traditions - Haole Girl - 03-13-2007

I think that a variety of books should be read for a better picture of the big picture. Does that make sense? LOL

I would read about Hawaiian history, Hawaiian language, Hawaiian culture, etc.

For Hawaiian history:

A really good one for Hawaiian history is "Shoal of Time" by Gavan Daws:

http://www.amazon.com/Shoal-Time-History-Hawaiian-Islands/dp/0824803248

While it's from the perspective of a Western person with Western thoughts... I think it helps those who are Western people with Western thoughts get a small glimpse of Hawaiian culture.

And this one too:

"Dismembering Lahui" by Jon Osorio PhD

http://www.amazon.com/Dismembering-Lahui-History-Hawaiian-Nation/dp/0824825497/ref=sr_1_2/104-3781010-4103968?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173808776&sr=1-2

Which is written with the perspective of a Hawaiian (Osorio)

Then maybe a book about the culture like:

"Na Kua'aina: Living Hawaiian Culture"
by Davianna Pomaika'i Mcgregor

http://www.amazon.com/Na-Kuaaina-Living-Hawaiian-Culture/dp/0824829468/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-3781010-4103968?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173808892&sr=1-1

Perhaps add Hawaiian language too:

"Learn Hawaiian at Home" by Kahikahealani Wight

http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Hawaiian-Home-Kahikahealani-Wight/dp/1573062456/ref=pd_bbs_3/104-3781010-4103968?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173808957&sr=1-3

or these Hawaiian language lessons courtesy of the Kamehameha Schools and is free to everyone:

http://ksdl.ksbe.edu/kulaiwi/

Keeping in mind that our history is an orally based one. Much of our history, traditions, etc are not written about. For example, our food. I have not read one book that describes our food like ake, aku palu, poi etc so I would keep that in mind. That our culture is an orally based one which has adapted the written way courtesy of missionaries and that what has been written about us should not be considered inclusive of everything about our culture, history, language, traditions, etc. because not everything about us is written. If I had to quantify it I would say that about 70% about us has not been written. An example is a book about Hawaiian food. (There is no book that details ake, aku palu, poi, etc.)

Y.W.N.

Edited by - Haole Girl on 03/13/2007 07:01:37

RE: Hawaiian Traditions - Keith - 03-13-2007

I was looking at this book as well.

John Papa `I`i, one of the leading citizens of the Hawaiian kingdom during the 19th century, left a unique and invaluable record in "Fragments of Hawaiian History." Brought up for a life of service to the high chiefs, John Papa `I`i (1800-1870) describes life under the Kamehamehas with the authority of a first-hand witness, presenting personal experiences and revealing the pattern of Hawaiian culture as it actually functioned.

Keith