Punaweb Forum
Highway 130 update TONIGHT in Puna - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Highway 130 update TONIGHT in Puna (/showthread.php?tid=9586)

Pages: 1 2

Highway 130 update TONIGHT in Puna - senkahele - 12-01-2011

PRESS RELEASE
December 1st 2011

SENATOR GILBERT KAHELE ANNOUNCES DOT UPDATE IN PUNA TONIGHT

Hawai'i Island's District 2 State Senator Gilbert Kahele is hosting a Highway 130 update in Puna on December 1st 2011.

Building upon the recently completed DOT forum held in September, Hawai'i Island's District 2 State Senator is using this forum to specifically address all State Highway 130 projects in Puna and to help clarify some of the issues that were addressed in September at the DOT Town Hall held in Keaau. Sal Panem, Hawai'i Island's District Engineer will be the featured speaker and is expected to give a comprehensive report on Highway 130 and all transportation projects associated with the Puna Highway. Mr. Panem will also give a a current status update and time line for both short term and long term projects.

"Highway 130 is my #1 priority in Puna. The feedback I received from the Transportation Town Hall I hosted in September was that those that attended felt not enough time was spent on Highway 130 and the information that was provided was not clear and concise. Several members of the community who have spent a significant amount of time on Highway 130 said they felt confused and unsure of the projects time line and specific details. I discussed this with the State DOT directors and we were all in agreement that we should go back to Puna and provide a presentation focused exclusively on Highway 130, and we are doing just that. We have decided to go into the heart of Puna and host this forum at the Pahoa Neighborhood Facility on December 1st. My one request is that the community come out and attend this important meeting and we get as much participation and attendance from the forty thousand plus residents of the Puna District. Tell your family, friends, neighbors and community associations, if Highway 130 is important to you come out and attend this meeting, I am providing you, my constituents of Puna the opportunity to be heard, I hope to see you there" Senator Gil Kahele

Senator Kahele's Highway 130 update with
Hawai'i DOT District Engineer Sal Panem

PUNA

PAHOA NEIGHBORHOOD FACILITY

December 1st 2011, 6:00-8:00PM

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2011/11/17/dot-puna-will-gather-again-in-pahoa-over-highway-130/

RE: Highway 130 update TONIGHT in Puna - DanielP - 12-02-2011

Any reports?

RE: Highway 130 update TONIGHT in Puna - David Shaw - 12-02-2011

Daniel: Check front page story in today's HT-H for some of the information presented. I am hoping that one of our readers who was there will give us their notes on the mtg as well.

-dwajs

RE: Highway 130 update TONIGHT in Puna - macuu222 - 12-02-2011

"Panem said the state is in the process of hiring a design consultant for the roundabout, which will be located at the highway's existing T-intersection with the Old Government Road. Construction is likely to begin in November 2012, with completion scheduled a year later"

Just where are they talking about for the first roundabout???

RE: Highway 130 update TONIGHT in Puna - DanielP - 12-03-2011

Roundabouts meet driving with Aloha. Hmmm

RE: Highway 130 update TONIGHT in Puna - Guest - 12-03-2011

Roundabout? Are you kidding me? they need to start using michigan left intersections, it would cut down on accidents and traffic without expanding the size of the road. Of course it would require logical thought.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_left

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul

RE: Highway 130 update TONIGHT in Puna - Rob Tucker - 12-03-2011

quote:
Just where are they talking about for the first roundabout???

I understand the location to be Hwy 130 at the Woodland Center/Malama Market intersection.

RE: Highway 130 update TONIGHT in Puna - Guest - 12-03-2011

Roundabouts do not work in the US because people do not know how to drive. A roundabout there will result in many accidents and deaths.

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul

RE: Highway 130 update TONIGHT in Puna - Greg - 12-03-2011

It wasn't that long ago that we Big Islanders finally tried modern traffic control devices like stop lights and merge lanes. When I first arrived in the eighties, Kea'au had the only stop light in the Puna District(correct me if I'm wrong)and Hwy19 into Hilo was the only multi-lane road. People that have lived here a long time are still trying to master skills involved in merging, stopping and multiple lanes. They had no learning curve, as it was pretty much: "here it is, have fun!"

I'm excited about the potential of a roundabout, but feel strongly that it should include a period of supervision and instruction. Possibly a Cop or trained County employee on site directing traffic for a month or two. This initial cost would be later recouped in power savings and reduced emergency service expenses.

RE: Highway 130 update TONIGHT in Puna - james weatherford - 12-03-2011

[quote]Originally posted by afwjam

Roundabouts do not work in the US because people do not know how to drive. A roundabout there will result in many accidents and deaths.

Well, have that delusion if you so desire, but, please, don't tell those dozens of communities across the U.S. where roundabouts have already successfully reduced crashes, severe injuries, air pollution, fuel consumption, and emergency services costs