Punaweb Forum
Burial in HPP - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Burial in HPP (/showthread.php?tid=9708)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Burial in HPP - DTisme - 12-28-2011

Ok, this is weird. Or maybe it just seems weird to me bc I've never lived in a rural area befor. I heard from a neighbor who lives on 3rd in HPP that her neighbor (also on 3rd) had passed away and the family had the burial right ON THEIR PROPERTY. They'd also buried a horse there. Is this legal? Doesn't seem too sanitary imho. Of course both burials required backhoes.

RE: Burial in HPP - macuu222 - 12-28-2011

I believe it's a health issue. Some states allow it...some don't. Not sure what the County or HPP's position is on the matter. I do know though that there is no dirt on the lots that close to the ocean in HPP unless they trucked some in. They would also have to backhoe down through tough bluerock. Probably cost less to have them cremated.

RE: Burial in HPP - Carey - 12-28-2011

Hawaii has allowed home burial in the past (this Advertiser article on funeral planning from '04 mentions home burial option in the 4th from last paragraph....)
ETA: The link:
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Dec/12/bz/bz08a.html

Home, farm plot or church yard plots have been around for ....ever.... but I would certainly hope that they have the location mapped so that in the future the remains are not mistakenly disturbed by future landowners ... very costly archeological research involved in that! Probably have to note that there is a home burial on a property sale disclosure, if they ever sell the land....maybe....

RE: Burial in HPP - Orchidlandguy - 12-28-2011

yup, my friend's dad is buried in Hawaiian Beaches. They are a local family and I understand the family has always buried their people on their lands. They used a backhoe to do it. Backhoing through bluerock is not as expensive as cremation. Cremation is not cheap.
They didn't have to disclose burial when selling the house. There was no place for it on the form, so they were not obligated.
I thought not disclosing it was odd, but these friends didn't want anything to mess up the sale and really needed the money.
It's their life and their karma. I thought I would share that in some local families this is their way.
My uncle lives next to a house with grave stones in the back that nobody in the house knows who they are. They are not related to the new owners.

I buried a donkey and three dogs on my property. I know for sure that lots of folks bury horses and donkeys and dogs on their properties here.

RE: Burial in HPP - missydog1 - 12-28-2011

Traditional methods included lava tubes and caves ... as a way to get around the blue rock issue.

I looked this up, out of curiosity, and while the Health Dept. regulates cemetaries, right of burial on private property seems to be a zoning issue?

So far, I have only buried koi. I have been blessed not to lose any other pets.

RE: Burial in HPP - macuu222 - 12-28-2011

A disclosure document for sale of a home has to list everything on the property that is relevent. And having a body buried in the backyard I think would be relevent. I certainly would not want to buy a home if someones grandparents are buried back there. (Unless the price was too good to turn down)

RE: Burial in HPP - MarkP - 12-28-2011

A friend of a friend died recently and was cremated. One quote was for $2,500. Another funeral home did it for just under $1,000. I don't have any idea how much it would cost to dig in pahoehoe. If you hit a bunch of cinders you could be home free. Not likely on my lot though. I wonder, did they have to have a coffin?

Without getting too gruesome, I think that modern society has gotten completely divorced from some of the facts of life and death. In connection with the Haiti earthquake I read repeatedly that the un-buried bodies, while undeniably unpleasant, represented much less of a health risk than most people assume. You are much more likely to catch a disease from a live person than a dead one. I agree, it doesn't SEEM too sanitary but simply put I think we modern folks have unnecessarily delicate sensibilities. In other words we are wrong about how unsanitary it actually is as long as a few basic conditions are met.

RE: Burial in HPP - Chuysmom - 12-28-2011

Wow. This is a fascinating thread.[:0]

Carrie

RE: Burial in HPP - Lin W - 12-28-2011

After I moved here (HPP) I discovered a memorial plaque in the front yard with name, date of birth, date of death, and “Forever 38.” Looked like a gravestone to me. I scoured newspaper archives, asked neighbors, asked here on Punaweb, asked my realtor, and nothing. Finally, on Ancestry.com I found a family tree with the same listing and was able to contact a family member on the mainland. Turned out he was a young man who contracted AIDS and came home to his parents to die. He did die in the house but was cremated rather than buried with his ashes scattered in the gardens that were there at the time and marked with the plaque. Eventually the property sold and was used as a rental for years, and the gardens neglected ’til the jungle took over and covered the plaque. I have never been bothered by the fact that he died here in the house or that his ashes are in the yard, and I don’t think I’d be terribly bothered if he had been buried here either - would‘ve bought the place anyway - kind of enjoy that connection to the past.

You can tell yourself anything is too difficult, or you can just do it. And you do not need to reconstruct your worldview or take issue with others. ~ SUSAN GREGORY THOMAS

RE: Burial in HPP - AlohaSteven - 12-28-2011

Well said, Lin W and Mark P.

Regarding "You are much more likely to catch a disease from a live person than a dead one" -this brings to mind two thoughts.

Long ago as a Freshman biology student I had a wonderful parasitology professor who had us all scrape between our teeth with toothpicks and count the number of species of amoebae found resident in our mouths. We then, as a group, graphed the number of species versus our year in college. Talk about a steep J curve!

Pleasant as it may have been to acquire new species of commensal amoebae during university, later on while in Southeast Asia I first made the direct acquaintance of dead bodies -not so pleasantly. The stench of decomposition is beyond accurate description; compound this with standing surface water and there is a very real epidemiological as well as aesthetic concern. I have since seen sky burials in the Himalayas, pyres burning alongside rivers, as well as green burials under big trees and all these were fine ...but dead bodies plus surface water equals a massive disease hazard. Happily, in this regard, there is not much risk of standing surface waters in the young rocky strata of Puna!

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

MSP's wingsuit segment from "Seven Sunny Days"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0tU3Hy7et8&feature=related

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(