Punaweb Forum
Lasers in Hilo - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Lasers in Hilo (/showthread.php?tid=9874)

Pages: 1 2

Lasers in Hilo - rbakker - 02-04-2012

Does anyone know if/where you can buy powerful(ish) lasers in Hilo?

I want to be able to do something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=680xwwEs7Lg
(Skip to 1:05)
but then on coqui frogs. Not out of cruelty, but in order to get a quick kill on frogs in inaccessible locations.

RE: Lasers in Hilo - whalesong - 02-04-2012

The easiest way to kill frogs are to get you a spray bottle and add a few drops of bleach. I use 36oz bottle w/12 drops of bleach. Works without killing the plant Smile

RE: Lasers in Hilo - Kelena - 02-04-2012

I like it, rbakker. I like the other idea for more accessible areas. Problem with a laser I guess is you have to have line-of-sight on the frog.

RE: Lasers in Hilo - Big_Island - 02-04-2012

When we bought our property we could barely hear them off in the distance... Within a year they were in our yard and 7 years later, they have ventured from the bottom
of Hawaiian Acres into Orchidland and are now far across 130 and have spread through HPP.
Lasers, bleach, citric acid, lime, ect...ect... are all just temporary fixes. I've given up and just learned to live with the coqui noise.

Save yourself a huge load to time and money and just learn to live with the sound..
You seriously won't win!!! They just keep coming back!
This is a fact!!! and I'm very serious! Smile

RE: Lasers in Hilo - Seeb - 02-04-2012

a laser big enuff to cook a frog is going to require permits. and going to raise a lot of red flags as to why you want one

RE: Lasers in Hilo - ericlp - 02-04-2012

ebay sells 1watt ones. If you ever get one make a video.

RE: Lasers in Hilo - rbakker - 02-04-2012

I can live with the sound, but the thing is that I don't want to.

Yes, this is for line-of-sight frogs. I can find them fairly easily. I already deal with them using an airsoft pistol. Great when it works and I don't miss. Hopefully I'll have a higher success rates with a laser. They seem to be surprisingly available but I wondered if there was anywhere in Hilo I could try before I buy.

RE: Lasers in Hilo - Kelena - 02-04-2012

I don't think we should ever give up when it comes to invasive species like coquis, bufos and fireants. I have made excellent progress against the last two and, when I plan to turn my attention to the coquis as well. On my first night in Puna, I stayed in a lovely place in Orchidland. Intelligently, all the plants had been removed from around the house and that put the noise further away.

I do find coquis bufos sitting, waiting, trying to figure out how to get into the compound. In a month, only one has gotten through. I scan for them nightly. The second to the last thing he saw was my handy blue net. Then, into a bag. Then into the freezer. No use torturing him for man's mistakes. I then tightened my perimeter even more.

A wonderful guy in my neighborhood has taken up the cause of the fire ants and so basically offers at just slightly above cost to apply AMDRO, which kills them. Several of my neighbors use his services, which means we have a comprehensive approach which disrupts and delays the take over. I apply the stuff myself now. It works for a time.

Coquis are difficult, but you can do things to decrease the noise level and their prevalance in a given area. Ultimately, I am hoping that Hawaii will resume the fight and perhaps find something that will disrupt their reproductive cycle and render them sterile.

These are all very important lessons. What Hawaii needs more than anything is agricultural inspectors and police. Getting rid of agricultural inspectors is penny-wise and pound foolish. No one will want to visit once the snakes get here. And, I think we have seen, the price of preserving an earthly ersatz paradise is eternal vigilance by paid professionals, and a zero tolerance for snakes on a plane and spiders in containers.

Fight back.

Edited because I referred to the loud frog when I meant to refer to the poisonous ugly one.

RE: Lasers in Hilo - rbakker - 02-04-2012

I'm with you on this all the way, Kelena. If fire ants turn up here I'll be asking for your advice.
I've been fighting coquis for years and it works. You just have to keep at it and keep looking for better ways to do it.

I'm not so keen on spraying chemicals, I prefer to track them down and not make my property too desirable for them in the first place.

RE: Lasers in Hilo - islandlvng - 02-05-2012

wickedlasers.com. Great site to browse.