Punaweb Forum
Vog in Pahoa - worse or same? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Vog in Pahoa - worse or same? (/showthread.php?tid=9901)

Pages: 1 2

Vog in Pahoa - worse or same? - Dot - 02-10-2012

Just curious, is the vog a little worse this winter than last year? Suddenly I'm overly-sensitive to it, and boy do I feel it. I use to be a little bit smug because Kona usually had it going on, and it was usually crystal here in Nanawale/Leilani area. I didn't really notice it til January (after the two months of rain stopped, ahem).

But not complaining about the sunshine, honest!

Mahalo for any input - Dot

RE: Vog in Pahoa - worse or same? - DoryGray - 02-10-2012

For me, the vog was horrible last May (2011). So far it's only been 4 or 5 days & then the trades come back. I monitor several websites for vog concentration on east side big island. If the wind is blowing from the SW, or there's no wind, then we get vog; I don't over exert outside. My eyes water, wake up w/ a headache, cough. This stuff can't be good for you. But it's a fact of life while living on an active volcano.

RE: Vog in Pahoa - worse or same? - csgray - 02-10-2012

The last few weeks have been pretty voggy, especially between Volcano and Keaau, but Hilo has been really bad. The winds have been from the south, so the vog that usually rounds South Point is socking in Hilo instead. Driving in to work I cannot even see the hills above Hilo, much less the mountain. I live on the Pahoa side of HPP, coming home, when I drive across the subdivision from Shower the farther towards Pahoa the bluer the sky gets. From Shower, you usually can see the ocean horizon line, but not lately. One of my students who lives in Mountain View said they can't even see their neighbors house right now because of the vog.

Carol

RE: Vog in Pahoa - worse or same? - Dot - 02-10-2012

I've read about people over the years on various blogs having to move back to the mainland because of the vog affecting their health, I don't want to be "one of them"! Good to know about the southwest winds, thanks Puna webbers. I drove into Hilo a few days ago, and if I didn't have a doctors appointment, would have made a u-turn and drove back to Pahoa where it wasn't so bad. You could hardly see the Hilo hillsides.
So many things to do in my yard and I'm cooped up in the house with my better half,the windows closed, so frustrating!

Guess the only true paradise is heaven, and I hope it's as pretty as Puna! Mahalo - Dot

RE: Vog in Pahoa - worse or same? - Midnight Rambler - 02-10-2012

Last year was fairly mild vog-wise, the year before was much worse for Hilo/Puna.

RE: Vog in Pahoa - worse or same? - Kelena - 02-10-2012

As I am a stranger in a strange land, I have no previous years to compare it to. But I, for one, embrace the vog. With vog comes sunshine. True, I did wake up one morning with a sore throat, and not from doing anything fun or from a microbe. It was the strangest sore throat I have had in my entire life, and I haven't had many of those. It last precisely one day.

I was wearing polaroid swimming goggles, doing a backstroke while gazing at the sky above. I swear I could see the smoke from the volcano and I thought "How brave, crazy and daring am I?".

When I first arrived, there was 40 days of continuous rain. The day before my dog arrived (12/21), the sun come out and has been here almost without cease. Good thing, because she would always run inside when it started raining. She didn't take it philosphically (she is used to it now as she associates it with happy morning walks). I welcome the vog, because it means sunshine. It does smell like a neighbor is barbecuing 100 million chicken wings at times, but I'm down with that. Overall, I think living here has been more healthful than not.

That said, it does remind one of how serious things can turn, with just a slight change in the wind, or worse, when there is no wind at all.

And so when it rained a little today and my girl and I got caught out in it, I welcomed that, too. And she loves the smells! This is olfactory heaven!

Along those lines, a curious thing happened to me today. I prepared some whole grain bread from scratch, and while it was rising, I drove to Pahoa with my girl. On the way back, 4 miles from home, I was absolutely positive I could smell the bread as I was driving home.

Smells and sounds carry. 'Ala onaona! Ka mele o ka makani!

I think I have passed the sensitivity test, though. I had a sore throat. It went away in hours, really. The vog remained. It can't be good, but a lot of things that are delicious are not good for us either. Vog means great weather! I accept it!

RE: Vog in Pahoa - worse or same? - Carey - 02-10-2012

I gotta admit (very queitly) I would like a little more rain...we are at less than 2.5" or about 15% of out normal by this time....& with the wind we have had, things are starting to dry out... going into Hilo today it was really voggy & It was looking much more crispy...kinda like 6 years ago when we started to have wildfires in Puna... just a little more rain...and as I am typing this there are raindrops.... night rain would be nice...

RE: Vog in Pahoa - worse or same? - Dot - 02-11-2012

I miss the night-time rain too Carey....and will say it quietly with caution. The Chenille and Bleeding heart plants I got from you awhile back are doing great by the way, mahalo!

Dot

RE: Vog in Pahoa - worse or same? - grumpyscosmos - 02-12-2012

Finally got some rain today in HPP anyways.. feast or famine this year.

RE: Vog in Pahoa - worse or same? - Shekelpal - 02-12-2012

Kelana, so happy you have hardly a reaction to vog. If you just got here maybe you are not sensitized, but hopefully it just does not bother you too much. Some people just have mild symptoms anyway like tiredness, teary eyes, sinus problems. Others have tightness in the diaphragm, dizziness, shaking, vomiting long strands of mucus, mucus eyes, high blood pressure, diarrhea. All those symptoms sound like the body trying to protect itself or a reaction to an allergen and many doctors here have finally realized these symptoms. SO2 turns into sulfites as your body processes what you breathe. Some bodies have a problem with sulfites. They used to be sprayed on produce in salad bars as a preservative to keep greens looking bright. Many people had bad reactions to this so the practice was banned. There is no banning this situation. We keep hoping for trade winds to come back. It has been about 3 or more years since we have had trades strong enough to blow the stuff away most of the time in Lower Puna. We used to get strong trades 11 months out of the year. Wishing and hoping.