Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thirty Meter Telescope Granted Use Permit
Those same "BILLIONS" could relocate everyone, then "they" could build a spaceport, some telescopes, and power the whole thing by fracking for geothermal.
The Thirty Meter should have the condition that the more dated observatories be dismantled and cleared. The primary concern is a larger telescope bringing more traffic to a pristine area. With high speed digital, it really isn't necessary for astronomers to physically be at the observatory. In fact, with networking, astronomers are starting to be able to do long baseline parallax observation with different types of telescopes in different locations. This can be done in data processing centers remote from the telescopes' physical locations. So, the top of Mauna Kea can be cleaned up from the old way of doing things, just the primary telescopes and some visitor center, restoring the rest of the cleared area.

"It was a majority decision to descend into the Dark Ages. Don't worry, be happy, bang on da drum all day! Onward to Elysium."
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Dumb question: who will bring/pay for this "high speed digital" network to the TMT?

An island-wide broadband network might translate into more "support" for the project.
I think they already do a lot of their work from waimea. just take one cable down the hill.
But you dont want it too remote, the island could use the IQ points, and those scientists living here would be bringing income to the island and maybe teach some classes bringing paying students ( though the UH system has to be cleaned up. it's become a welfare system for useless majors )
So I should move to Waimea if I want high-speed internet?

Why didn't I think of that! I'll bet they have fewer helicopters, too. Too bad I can't afford it.
The Caltech Submillimeter Observatory is slated for closure in 2016. It will take 2 years to return the land to its natural state.

UKIRT and James Maxwell Clerk telescopes are slated for closure within the next two years (unless another entity takes over ownership). So, there is a chance three telescopes may decomissioned within the next three to five years.

The recently enacted Mauna Kea Comprehensive Management Plan has several sub plans. One of these documents details the decomissioning plans for all the telescopes.

By the way, University of Hawaii's master Mauna Kea lease expires in 2033. All the telescopes may have to be decomissioned by then unless a lease extension is granted.
The telescopes and Hawaiian Telcom established high speed internet connections from the Mauna Kea summit to the ground facilities in Waimea and Hilo. These links are used to send data and to do remote observing. They are for the exclusive use of the telescopes and the University of Hawaii.

http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/mkocn/maps/mkocnet.web.pdf