Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Law may favor Development of Conservation Lands
Now that I've read the bill text, I can see the obvious failure mode in Part III, Section 3 (page 17).

geothermal resources exploration and geothermal resources development ... shall be permissible in all zones of the conservation district

A coalition of Protectors and the Anti-Geothermal Crowd should at least be amusing to watch, maybe we can figure out how to tax them to make up the shortfall from no TMT.
Rules and laws rushed into place in order to circumvent other long standing laws in order to favor one party, often the State, over another rarely succeed in accomplishing their intended goals. Take for instance the most recently rushed into place set of rules governing Mauna Kea which the DLNR created in response to protests on the mountain and then used to arrest individuals which were in the end acquitted when the rules themselves were invalidated. This type of knee jerk behavior is indicative of the small mindedness that so many politicians are afflicted with. For any of us to put much stock in this sort of thing might be a symptom of the same sort of small mindedness our elected officials suffer from.
Rules and laws rushed into place in order to circumvent other long standing laws

Unnecessarily, as well, when it was merely necessary to follow the existing laws in their entirety.

Perhaps we just need one more new law that makes it illegal to ignore the existing laws.
we just need one more new law that makes it illegal to ignore the existing laws.

Agreed.
With the penalty for breaking that law: Double Secret Probation.

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." -Annie Dillard
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I looked up the location of the other six "science subzones", and guess what? They're all existing scientific research centers, with science installations and buildings and parking lots and such. Nothing is being created; merely an explicit intent to keep doing what they're doing at those 7 locations.

County could use similar "overlay zoning" to create economic opportunity, just by making it easier for people to legitimately do things they're already doing "under the radar".