Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone get an offer of $9,000 cash recently?
This scam is pretty easy to spot, but let me tell you about another one that was attempted on me that is a lot more sinister:

A nefarious individual doesn't call YOU- they call a relative of yours and identifies themselves as a process server (a process server is an individual who comes to your house and hands you a piece of paper- generally an order to appear in front of a judge). The "process server" shares with your sister / mom / whoever they think is weakest and says that they need to find YOU so that you can defend yourself against a huge lawsuit from some horrible corporation or else you can be thrown in jail in a few days time.

So the scammers have done two things. 1) Use a relative to contact you on their behalf and 2) Made them (and possibly you) think that you are getting sued in court and you can possibly get arrested if you don't call their number right away!

When this happened to me my sister was very distraught that she was contacted in this manner. Since I'm tight with my credit record I was able to assuage her that she (we) were being scammed and upon entering the "call back" number onto the internet it was clear that this "collection agency" was a scam company that apparently had a lot of success with this strategy.
Thank goodness my Tracphone shares a number only with HariKrishna Hawaii. No other crazy calls.....that I always misplace it and can't access voicemail also limits scams.....
Another popular scam:
Somebody (man or woman) with a Pakistani accent, claims to be calling from Microsoft, windows and needs an access code to fix your computer because they have discovered it has been infected with mal-ware (or so they claim). If you give them the numbers they want they can gain remote access to your computer and get any information they want from that computer.
I've told them I have an Apple computer, I've flirted with the female Pakistani scam artist, I've lead them on for long periods pretending to give them the computer access numbers and playing dumb. Really frustrates them, its funny. They keep calling though.
quote:
Originally posted by ElysianWort

... I've lead them on for long periods ... its funny. They keep calling though.

Yeah, I do that too when I accidentally answer the phone thinking it's a legitimate call. Usually it's "Rachel from Card Services".

I press the number to talk to a representative. "What's that you say?, I'm sorry, could you repeat that?. Oh, hold on, my credit card is in my wallet, hold on until I go get it." It's amazing how long they will wait, thinking they have a fish on the line.
The only problem with the strategy of engaging with them and wasting their time is that they NEVER stop calling your number. I tried that strategy about three years ago and I still get weekly calls from "microsoft". Now I just set the phone down and walk away.
The only problem with the strategy of engaging with them and wasting their time is that they NEVER stop calling your number.

I recently bought a new cordless phone. Panasonic. One of the features is the ability to block 250 phone numbers. Ever since, scammers, robocalls, and special offers only call once. It's getting mighty peaceful around here.

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." -Annie Dillard
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by geochem

The only problem with the strategy of engaging with them and wasting their time is that they NEVER stop calling your number. I tried that strategy about three years ago and I still get weekly calls from "microsoft". Now I just set the phone down and walk away.

One time, a guy got so mad that, after a string of insults about me and my family (he didn't even know my sweet old mom!), threatened to have calls "rain down on me in numbers that I'd be getting hundreds of calls a day".

It never happened. I guess he couldn't talk his buddies into calling someone who was just going to waste their time.

I have heard that answering the calls does increase your likelihood of getting more of them. Not sure about that. Some weeks I get several, then other weeks none. I do block any calls I get that I don't recognize the number and don't leave a message though so that may cut down on a few.
Wow thanks P.W. I never knew so many crooked scams were being allowed. This one that was trying to be pulled over on me has been around for years apparently. It really became very believable when the crook with a Pakistani voice stated the grant money did not need to be paid back only spent, because it was part of an economy stimulation boost for america. I found this site that has had many people write in about these types of scams.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/scam_ale...tml?page=2