Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Widening of 130 not happening!
go off on an unrelated tangent

It's all mostly the same rant, in any case.

as great as it would be to already live in some rosy future where everyone telecommutes

Telecommuting is not the only solution; it requires both infrastructure ("high-speed internet") and a cultural shift (too many jobs cannot be quantified and/or managers can't measure productivity, so performance is measured by "can see you in the office at your desk" -- whole different problem).

Neither is zoning the only solution; even a well-stocked general store doesn't eliminate every trip to town.

Not that it matters: we're more likely to get PMAR than "neighborhood commercial", and don't even bother wishing for fiber.

the government has no interest in making it work

Yet, somehow, nobody seeks to hold "them" accountable for this. Shouldn't "we the people" demand better? It's our tax money, after all.
Anothe flaming example on the lack of vision and LEADERSHIP from and utterly useless Mayor and Council. We ought to stop smoking so much weed and get out the pitch and forks out and start demanding services' from our COUNTY

There must be another reason why the State is putting the brakes on this one; given the dismal way things are done here, I am not surprised
jdo
jdo
When I first moved here 30 something years ago, the lack of government "involvement" in Puna was the allure. Having come from a major metropolitan area it was simply glorious to(for example) park my car on the wrong side of the road and fear no ticket. Getting a cop to come out was a crap shoot. Country living on a remote tropical island with almost no interference, you took care of your own problems. The rare sightings of a building inspector were the only government officials to be seen in Puna.

The down side is that territorial marijuana growers completely exploited the situation and some were dangerous. Definitely a concern but mostly easy to navigate around them. This was still a true paradise IMO.

Unfortunately that critical population line has been crossed. Too many people renders the lack of government presence or concern no longer desirable. Many on handouts and the other group being those who want to live as though it's a major metropolis out here in the middle of nowhere. Then there are all the Micronesians and Filipino nationals who seem to live in their own large bubbles refusing to interact with the rest of us??? I've never seen so many dead pan facial expressions.

It's still heavenly here but the new conglomerated "culture" if you can call it that is definitely a challenge. If restaurants are indicators then we have a very bland and boring population with low quality ingredients.
This^

I am seriously looking at becoming a snowbird just so I can reacquaint myself with some semblance of organization.
Second highest taxes per person paid and spent in the US but roads, water, etc??? What are they spending it on?
"What are they spending it on?"

Salaries for the well-connected and parks that some communities don't even want, but are being built (at easily double what they actually cost) to keep the contractors and unions happy.
130 Doesn't need to be widened. Better mass-transit ... park & ride, no special 'loops' through politically connected condo developments ... double service & hours ... Cost would probably be about the same, the result would be an exponential improvement in community spirit.
***Still can't figure out how to spell 'car' correctly***