Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharing inspiration and Aloha from Puna.
This video was made right here in puna by a team of runners and dreamers who are trying to make a positive difference. Coach Baker is also the cross country coach for Pahoa and Haas when he is not training for this Marathon.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RRXavH2v9gw&feature=youtu.be

For Those of you who would like to help support these runners and their dreams. They will be working a car wash this Saturday at the pahoa auto parts store between the hours of 9am-2pm.
Nice to see kids doing positive things with their lives. My brother ran distance in high school as cross training for volleyball and ended up being a world class player. Now he volunteers to help me coach kids in school almost every year.

Just call me Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Congradulations to the puna Team who competed and finished in this mornings L.A marathon, the first for many of them. Can't wait to hear about the marathon race or some of the first time experiences of a five day trip around the great city of Los Angeles. You all are an inspiration to us all, mahalo.
Nice!

Just call me Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
I am very proud of My son who was also part of this wonderful team of young puna runners that all completed the L.A marathon earlier this year. The added confidence, big dreams, and connections he gained from the extreme running accomplishment and positive teammates has really helped him in other areas of life too. My son just graduated this week from pahoa high school and has decided to attend the university of Princeton in New jersey.
Congratulations, gypsy. That's quite an achievement.
Gypsy, congratulations! You must be so proud! [Smile]

You take a lot of flack here on Punaweb, nevertheless, the "pearls of wisdom" you share with your keiki resonate. Almost feel like a proud "Aunty"! Well done.

There is hope for our future. Mahalo. Aloha to you and your ohana.

JMO.
Mahalo to you both PaulW and Aunty Opihikao.

Yes we couldn't be two prouder parents. To be honest though, we are still in a state of shock that our son will be leaving home in just 2 months to go off to college. From our understanding, he may be the first student in over 30 years to receive an Ivey league college Opportunity from Pahoa high school, Maybe even the first ever to go to Princeton university from Pahoa high?
Really The entire pahoa high senior class of 2016 did something special this year, as A record number of them were accepted into college, at least 25. Their incredible accademic achievements are even more impressive when one takes into account the many difficult adversities they had to endure together. I'm sure some here will remember The pahoa lava flow that split their class in half last year, or The lockdowns that left many with blackeyes, or The strong tropical storm iselle that left many of them without social media or power to do their homework for weeks.
Anyway we are very proud of our son and his now legendary graduating pahoa class of 2016. We are so blessed and especially thankful to the entire pahoa school faculty, coach Baker, and the many wonderful people from within our puna community who helped make this educational dream a reality for our son, mahalo.

Congratulations, gypsy69. I hope your son is one of the many Princeton students (60%?) who gets a scholarship as a Princeton degree costs about as much as a house in HPP.

When we first rented our cottage out a couple of years ago one of the people we interviewed was a man from Kauai who got a teaching job at Pahoa High. He was very ambitious and a very experienced teacher. I wonder if he is having an impact there now? He suggested that I apply for work there when I retire from my current job.

Just call me Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Congratulations gypsy, to your son, and your entire family.

It's quite an accomplishment to be one of only 25 Pahoa High graduates who plan to pursue a college education, even more so at a prestigious Ivy League school. It must have been an exciting day when the letter of acceptance (or email*?) arrived at your home. I wish your son well in his future studies.

Let's also hope his success will provide a spark for future Pahoa High School students who may ask whether a teenager from an often overlooked rural area, at a struggling small town high school might one day attend college, or dare to dream big and apply for admission at one of the best schools in the country. They now know if they ask, the answer might be yes.

* I'm not sure how schools communicate the news to prospective students these days

“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”
-Joseph Brodsky
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves