Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Propane dryers use of electricity?
Sorry kai thats incorrect

Only the part about buying the adaptor.

Gas appliances are fitted with jets for natural gas. They include a set for propane (and, in rare cases, a third set for butane) but these must be installed by "a licensed professional" or the warranty will be void.

Source: my new gas stove. Home Depot has "a guy" who will perform the conversion before delivery. It was an extra $75.

Entirely possible that some retailers are pre-converting the appliances, and obviously any used appliance will already have been retrofitted.
quote:
Originally posted by kander

your going to average about 300W for the dryer. They like modern ovens have a resistive heater element which ignites the gas and is red hot during the propane burn phases of the dryer cycle.

That 300w includes the motor?

Cheers,
Kirt
Please tell the model number of your LG washer, only 100 to 300w? Wow. About the dryer I didn't read all the responses, but before you hassle with finding someone with a similar model and giving them your amp meter, personally I'd call the manufacturer. Eventually they will have someone to transfer you to who knows the exact wattage. Rarely have I not had that question answered.
That 300w includes the motor?

Glow bars (an "innovation" for your "safety") are typically in the 300W range.

Bottom line: everyone should have a Kill-A-Watt. Genuine P3 units are under $30 on Amazon; cheap Chinese clones are under $20.
Propane is a three-carbon alkane with the molecular formula C3H8. It is a gas at standard temperature and pressure, but compressible to a transportable liquid. A by-product of natural gas processing and petroleum refining, it is commonly used as a fuel. Propane is one of a group of liquefied petroleum gases (LP gases). The others include butane, propylene, butadiene, butylene, isobutylene, and mixtures thereof. Propane was discovered by the French chemist Marcellin Berthelot in 1857. It is a clean burning, odorless, colorless gas that is very efficient when used to grill, cook, or heat your home!

Aloha Smile
Aloha Smile
clean burning, odorless, colorless gas that is very efficient

Gas (NG, propane, butane) is 5-8x more efficient at generating heat, but is effectively 15% less powerful when used to generate electricity.

Propane has an odorant added so that humans can detect leaks.

Any gas sold as "propane" must contain at least 90% propane.
According to this web site, a gas dryer uses 1800 watts: https://www.wholesalesolar.com/solar-inf...ower-table

I looked at the specs of an energy star model on the GE web site and it was 1080 watts. I'm pretty sure these are the max values (but not startup surge).

I remember "crunching the numbers" when I was looking at gas versus electric back when we were buying appliances and electric was the $ winner for us considering that we line dry almost everything, the higher up-front cost of the unit, life expectancy, propane cost, hassle, etc. However we have grid at our disposal. Even when we do run the dryer it's used on something that has been mostly line dried so it only runs for a few minutes. It might be easier to use an electric unit on a generator for that. Especially if you're already running it for some other reason.

pretty sure these are the max values

Plate ratings are always worst-case scenario, for real-world numbers get a Kill-A-Watt.
A DC propane dryer would be idyllic. Wish we had more 12v appliance dealers on the island. Then you could use your 12v clamp meter to see how much it draws.
Thanks for all the ideas!

After consideration, line drying will be the preferred option.

On one end, you could get a Miele electric dryer, relatively small capacity, costing $1500+, but only draws 800 watts, 120v.

The basic 120v propane dryers draw that much of more. So generator on either way most likely.

Thanks again,
Kirt