Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kalani
Hi all,

I was curious about any opinions on Kalani either good or bad.

It seems like a lot of money - is it worth it? Have any of you stayed there before?
A friend of mine is going to be staying there and I was curious about what they might be in for down at kalani.

Cheers

rainyjim
I only know it from what I read on internet and from their ecstatic dances they had/have. Mostly from a few years back when they had a fun Wed night one that eventually got shut down... It was the big lower Puna night event of the week at the time, very fun. They also had one on Sunday mornings but it wasnt the same vibe (w/little kids running around), and got too hot at times... it also was one of many things going on on Sunday in Puna so was easy to miss.... Other than that all I can say is Ive heard they are expensive but the vibe there is cool from what Ive always seen, its a sort of yoga retreat, but its also a well known retreat within the gay communities worldwide too, but Im sure you and your friend know that....

PS I dont know of any Puna residents or longterm visitor that would actually stay there, ...its 25-50X more expensive that some of the eco-villages in same Red Road/Lower Puna area.... thats where the WWOOFers usually stay, they only visit Kalani.

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
Kalani is all good. It is not for everybody, but it is one of the places that makes Puna, Puna. I can't imagine Puna without it. It is pretty much self-contained and so, in that sense, is a resort, but not like one you would find in another district of this island, or on another island. It is not for everyone and I know many people in Hilo and Punaloa who have never even been there. It has a strong counter-cultural vibe, and a mission that encourages self-discovery and openness. It is not just a place to stay. There are many beautiful places to stay in Puna, some nicer, I am sure, than the accommodations at Kalani, but you go to Kalani, you go for the whole experience. As a resident, I haven't taken full advantage of all Kalani has to offer, but there is a an interesting schedule of workships and weekly activities, such as hula, that I would like to experience.

And, oddly enough, it is one of my favorite places to eat in all of Puna or Hilo. I would rather dine at Kalani than at Cafe Pesto. The food is simple and served cafeteria style, but it is very healthy and very fresh, and you get to dine outdoors in a beautiful area and sometimes run into interesting people. It is, without a doubt, my favorite place to go trolling other than when the cruise ship is in town when I walk along the waterfront dropping just one shoulder of my aloha shirt. But seriously, Kalani attracts very interesting people from many different places. I took a slack key guitar workshop there, got a massage there, jumped in the pool there (nice), have enjoyed walking the grounds there, and have participated, in a small way, in the music scene there.

And so you cannot isolate the accommodation from the total experience at Kalani. It is not for everyone. I do find myself giggling a lot when I go to Kalani. I have overheard some very unusual conversations there. You might sit next to someone who, in all seriousness is discussing a vision with their third eye. But then you might have such a vision. I heard a song there by an artist I wasn't familiar with. I was immediately possessed by it. I knew I had to learn it. I found out who the artist was, and then I learned the song, and then, for better or for worse, I lived it and every one of those words rang true for me and glowed like burning coal, like it was written in my soul from me to you (and no, it wasn't Dylan -- I am just stealing from him to express how I reacted to the music). Could have heard the song anywhere. But hearing it on the lanai at Kalani, while talking to someone interesting, while the lawn glowed fluorescent green and the scent of puakenikeni drifted by, gave it greater impact.

There is something funny about Kalani, and staying there isn't cheap, but it is a destination onto itself, and it is good for visitors and, I think, good for Puna. If I weren't already "away", Kalani is a place that I would like to get away to. And if somebody would watch my dog and pay for me to attend a retreat, I would go!
Lovely place, cabins are basic, inhibitions removed. Not my
cup of tea" because I walk a narrow road lit by my Savior, Jesus Christ.[8D]
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
Thanks for the thought out replies everyone - I'm going to forward this information onto my friend - I just looked at the website a little more *whistles* ...I'm glad I'm not footing the bill...

Cheers

rainyjim