Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cesspool maintenance ?
We happened to have an inexperienced backhoe/pick operator dig our cesspool. Most of our lava underlayment is a fairly soft, gassy black rock (undoubtedly the 1840 eruption) with some blue rock intrusions. The edge of the hole kept creeping outward as he bit off larger chunks than he expected. The hole ended up about 12 feet wide and 12 feet deep. Not going to worry about that filling up. Interestingly, below 8 feet there was a bright red layer of solid lava (not loose cinder) that went down further. Always wondered about the origin of that layer.
Problems can develop by having large, fast growing foliage nearby. The root systems seem to seek out the moisture and clog the intake holes. Ours wasn't nearly full, but rendered usless by ten year old Banyon roots blocking the intake pipe. All fixed, tree removed.
Rob, I know of one cesspool that had to be replaced with septic in Puna but it was fed by four toilets and sinks and about 30 people a day.
We use Zep Septi-Pak from Home Depot. It's an "all natural enzyme-producing bacteria." Pkg points out that detergents, bleaches, etc. upset the balance of the good bacteria that's needed to eat the icky stuff. You're supposed to use a packet every 2 months, but we do it more like every 4 months. Package comes with 6 packets. You flush the contents down the toilet.
I ordered Roebic Cesspool Treatment from Amazon. Part of me wants to post a "before and after" pic of the inside of the cesspool, but mostly I don't want to look inside the cesspool.