Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
shipping from mainland
A family member is closing up their home and moving to the Virgin Islands to live on a sailboat. I am now heir to a number of family pieces and keepsakes that I need to get from the Mainland to Hawaii. Probably the equivalent of a 4X6X8 foot box with mostly art and oriental rugs, plus some things like photo albums and family bibles. I need this to be easy for the family member who is being so kind as to give me these items, since I will not be there to build or load the crate or pod.

Any ideas for someone who would drop a pod or crate and pick it back up a few days later in a very rural part of the upper midwest, pretty far from any major cities, and then ship it here? This is all new territory to me, all I shipped here was a few rubbermaid tubs of tools and a bunch of duffel bags under the plane.
For stuff like this I usually get a few quotes from uship.com.
ABF Relocube sounds petrfect for you. ABF drops the container where you want it. It is a ground level unit, so no ramps needed. I think the container is 7'x8'x9'. Your people load it, put on a lock, and ABF doesn't get a key, call ABF to come and pick it up. It will be delivered to your place, and you can keep it for a number pf days. Call them when it's empty. They are a bit pricey though, but way easier to load and unload than, say a 20" container.

It's worth a look.

http://www.upack.com/moving-services/mov...tainer.asp

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
quote:
Originally posted by birdmove

ABF Relocube sounds petrfect for you. ABF drops the container where you want it. It is a ground level unit, so no ramps needed. I think the container is 7'x8'x9'. Your people load it, put on a lock, and ABF doesn't get a key, call ABF to come and pick it up. It will be delivered to your place, and you can keep it for a number pf days. Call them when it's empty. They are a bit pricey though, but way easier to load and unload than, say a 20" container.

It's worth a look.

http://www.upack.com/moving-services/mov...tainer.asp

Jon in Keaau/HPP

Thanks, I don't need anywhere near a 20 footer either. I Know I am going to pay a premium per sq. ft. but this stuff is priceless to me.
shockwaverider, is there a Box Brothers in your relative's neck of the woods? I just inherited a bunch of family treasures too and used them. It was expensive, but they did all the packing and delivered it to our house. They packed it so good. Almost overkill. I still have a whole roll of bubble wrap they used to protect my Grandmother's 100+ year old oak rocker. My Sister says they have local drop off points then take it to airport/harbor, train depending on area.
Not to be confused with FedEx, FedEx Ground, or FedEx SmartPost, FedEx Freight will do it (I don't know if they will pack it but they will transport it) from point A (mainland) to point B (Hilo) via the barge.

If you use the google searching for FedEx Freight you can find their online calculator. Because it's going to Hawaii you have to input your shipping specifics and they email you the quote... generally within 15 minutes.

I recently got an email quote for a 1,000 pound pallet from the west coast to Hilo and the price was about $500. From what I gather you can probably get a lower quote if you call them (instead of using online calculator then email quote system) if the shipper is willing to deliver to an acceptance location and you can pick it up in Hilo.
I have been pricing for my move and found Uhaul to be a bit cheaper and seems like easier to deal with than the Relocube from ABF. I'm looking at going from southeast Wisconsin to Hilo and it will be just over $4000 for their U box. It is 8'x5'x 7'6". Uhaul also surprised me with a shorter shipment time. The Uhaul box is wooden and covered in heavy plastic/vinyl which I'm hoping will reduce the moisture level in the box compared to the metal ones. I have not yet looked into palletizing my load to ship FedEx yet. That's next on my list.

"One day there, madam, is worth one year of common existence," David Douglas
"One day there, madam, is worth one year of common existence," David Douglas