Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Relocating to Puna
You asked for it... UPDATE!!
Tractor has arrived. What can I say; it's BLUE, it doesn't look nearly as big as it did at the store and it rained solidly for days after arrival so we didn't get to use it much. Our new handyman/ranch hand Ed is great. He is busy mowing a path for our road/driveway. We, on the other hand, are in Southern California, then off to New York City (ewwww) for our son's 30th birthday. Hubby will be staying in Calif. while I return to Hawaii to begin more serious preparation of the land and plans for homebuilding and farm/ranching...

I am open to many ideas and hope some of you have them to offer. I thought I had an archetect but we were unable to come to a contractural agreement. If anyone knows of a draftsperson and/or archetect that is interested in a side job, please have them contact me pslamont@yahoo.com.
I have a general floor plan drawn out and a photo of the style outside for roof, porch, etc.l.. It shouldn't really be that hard.

Before we left, we managed to locate the spot for the driveway at the road and get the posts laid in for the fence. Ed will get the fence strung and maybe even the gate up while we are gone. We found a lovely patch of antheriums near where the entry will be so we even have the beginning of a pretty spot Smile.

Second and third thoughts have passed as to building the dream house vs. something scaled down. After careful consideratio and encouragement by my hubby, I have decided to go with the dream house and the barn and build the ohana later. When I return there will be some serious hunting for a builder and drafter to get the plans through by the beginning of the year.

Wish us luck, and come on by to see the progress... and our pretty new tractor!

May you live in interesting times.
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
I am in So Calif right now, then off to NYC/Manhattan for a long (and dreaded) weekend; son't 30th birthday bash and I promised to go. I will return to my lovely new Hawaiian Home on the 12th Nov.

I have a rental for a year in Mt. View off Oshiro Rd. Maybe we can get together for a warm cup of tea and a trip over to the property. We are JUST getting started. Everyone is welcome to come share the fun and give me any suggestions you might have; always open to hearing new ideas.

pslamont@yahoolcom

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Addendum: Talked to ED the handyman today. He got the new tractor out on the land and mowed the entire new roadway! Says it was much easier than he thought. Things went really well. He mowed the pasture that will become our homesite and is started on the next pasutre over that will hold the barn. Next comes the first pasture, the new orchard. He expects it all done by the time I get there. I am so darned excited I can hardly breathe.

Things aren't working out with the new Archetect, so when I return we will be looking for an archetect/draftsman and a builder right away. I know it all takes months to get started on but I want to get rolling!

See you all after the 12th... email me, and then plan to come on by.

Aloha and Mahalo....

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Aloha Pam,

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you have your hands full, but in a very good way. I’ll be back to the Big Island in May ’05 for two or three weeks to work on our property. I will definitely make a trip to N. Glenwood Rd. I’d like to see how things are going.

You’re not that much further up Highway 11 than we are. We are just past the 9 MM on South Rd. If I remember correctly N. Glenwood is about 12 miles further up 11.

Hope to read more of your posts soon!
David D

Aloha Dave and everyone...
Talked to the ranch hand today. Popped a tire on the new tractor. You would think old barbed wire wouldn't do in a tractor tire but it will!! Got it repaired and remounted. He says it's looking grand out there. I am just so excited. Will be there in about 10 days now.

Will look forward to you being around in 05 Dave. Everyone else is welcome to look me up. Hope to have a house in progress by then.. WAY in progress!

Aloha.... Pam

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Nov 12th and I am back on island. Can't wait for it to get light out so I can get over and see the property. Ranch hand tells me the fence is up, pastures are mowed, road path is mowed in for my approval... wow!!

Apparently neighbors have been stopping by as he works to give a thumbs up. It is so wonderful to find we are welcomed. Hilo is a terrific place and N. Glenwood Rd is a dream come true.
Aloha!

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Just an update... Things are looking great. Two pastures are mowed and just look terrific. Several neighbors have been by and checked on the site; they agree we picked well. Makes me feel good. Road is delayed by the heavy rains predicted this week, so we will start in next week. Man, it costs a LOT to build a dirt road! Still, it needs to be done. Fortunately we have learned that we will probably need to do little if any grading at all to build the house, the site is so well placed for slope and drainage.

Has anyone here been by to see it yet? I haven't run into anyone but hope you stop by if you can. N. Glenwood Rd, about 1/2 mile up from the 11 on the right hand side. Can't hardly miss the new mesh fence with tar-blackened posts. Hope to see some of you soon.

Smile Pam

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Big "stuff" coming. Rock and supplies will be delivered Friday and the BIG tractor wll be there too. Roadwork begins .... Smile

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Wow, a few tons of rock per load sure doesn't go far. Still, on Friday with 7 loads and Saturday with three more we have maybe 200 ft of road done. Of course, I think it is around 900 ft total but hey; it's a start.

The base is laying in well. When the big truck comes with loads of rock they drive right over the base we have laid in and don't sink or anything. Yaaaaaaaaaa..... my neighbors lost about $3000 in rock to sinking when they started. Got lucky so far with a solid soil area to lay into.

Anyway, things are great so far. Will check in next week sometime. I have pics but don't know whqat to do with them so if anyone has a place for me to post them, I will be glad to share.

Again, come on by N. Glenwood Rd, about .6 miles up from the Hiway 11 on the right hand side. Aloha!

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Pam
You can set up a free account at WebShots http://www.webshots.com/ Upload pics there and then use the url anywhere.

You can see how I used it on Hilo-web for my pics.

Did you lay down ground fabric before your base course?

Ninole Resident