Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dengue fever could be here to stay
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

Time to call Oxitec. Release the GMO mosquitoes and be done with it.

Totally agree. But GMO = bad, so it won't happen. Because...SPIDERMAN.
This will perhaps be the down fall of tourism - the states # 1 money cash crop .

Mrs . Mimosa
the down fall of tourism - the states # 1 money

Tourism is a mere 20% of the State economy, and like many things, tends to happen mostly on Oahu.
Where are the Protectors? Shouldn't they be protesting the State & DNLR for allowing foreign fevers to infect the Hawaiian people? This is an outside influence I'd like to see them rise up against.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
My immunosuppression is so severe, and I am such a mosquito magnet, that I would be concerned if I were there. We have West Nile here and get free mosquito fish from the city. But my doc still wants me to stay inside! What I wonder is, what do you do about the catchment tanks? Our drought is so bad we are supposed to try and capture what few drops of rain come along, but are not to have standing water,...crazy.

Between dengue and the fire ants (I would overreact to them) I would have to have a/c and live sealed up tight [Smile] I'm praying all of you will be ok and that mosquitos and fire ants somehow get killed.
Pam in CA
Pam in CA
Chubbier people, and pregnant women, exhale more carbon dioxide and can attract more mozzies. Some other things they like: http://insects.about.com/od/flies/a/how-...-bites.htm

I wear mostly dark colors...oops.
I learned the hard way to stop wearing perfume.
My chronic fevers provide warmth and sweat for them, how nice. And then my sister and I seem to have the genetic attraction being discovered by a lot of research.
[Sad!]

Btw, all you beer drinkers out there...better drink indoors...

Pam in CA
Pam in CA
I'm a real skeeter magnet, but the only thing on that list that I do regularly is breathe.
I wonder if I'm pregnant? naw, must be the extra avoirdupois.

Yesterday's CD message said they were spraying on Kona side.
Today's Civil Defense message:

Dengue Fever Information Update For Monday November 9th At 10:30AM.

This is a Dengue Fever information update for Monday November 9th at 10:30AM.

The State Department of Health continues to work with other state and county agencies on the issue of the Dengue Fever outbreak. As of 12:00 noon Friday the Department of Health has reported 23 confirmed cases originating on Hawaii Island. These cases include 15 residents and 8 visitors and across multiple areas of the island. An update of the number of cases will be made later today.

Dengue fever is a virus that is transmitted or spread by infected mosquitoes and is not transmitted directly from person to person. Dengue Fever is not endemic or common to Hawaii and the source or origin of this outbreak is likely due to an introduction of the virus by a person who may have contracted the virus while in another area of the world and who became infectious while in Hawaii.

Because the only mode or method of transmission is through mosquito bites there are actions being taken to reduce the risks and include the spraying or treating of areas of high mosquito presence that are also areas of possible contact with infected people. This includes areas around residents of confirmed cases.

Although spraying or treating of areas is ongoing, the most effective method of reducing the spread and possibly eliminating Dengue is to minimize or prevent the possibility of being bitten by an infected mosquito. Wearing clothing that minimizes exposed skin, use of mosquito repellant and avoiding activities in areas of high mosquito concentration during the early morning and late afternoon periods when mosquito activity is greatest. In addition, persons feeling ill and having a fever should remain indoors to prevent the possibility of being bitten and infecting mosquitoes.

Public Information Meetings will be held at the following locations:

Tonight Monday November 9th at the Yano Hall in Kona
Tomorrow Tuesday November 10th at the Naalehu Community Center
Thursday November 12th at the Konawaena High Cafeteria
Friday November 13th at the Honokaa High Cafeteria
Monday November 16th at the Hilo High Cafeteria
Tuesday November 17th at the Keaau High Cafeteria

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
http://www.hawaii247.com/2015/11/09/map-...day-nov-9/

Click on map to enlarge.

http://www.denguevirusnet.com/mosquito-bites.html
I was just gonna Post that Map... It's gone from bad to WORSE. Good luck containing this now. I think we are screwed. Just my opinion.
State has enough data to produce a map -- but they didn't -- which sort of proves they were trying really hard not to tell anyone.

Security through obscurity never works.