Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Hurricane Season
Carey: "there are many studies of cyclonic storms in Central America, Pacific Islands & Carib that back up that mountains do not stop a cyclonic storm, esp the more powerful ones... more like a speed bump"

The Caribbean is relatively flat, their highest point is about 10,000 ft. in Haiti.

The small number of hurricanes that have severely damaged the Big Island, relative to damage to our lower-lying islands, suggests our two massive mountains veer off storms--that the Big Islands's record (fewer-hurricane strikes) is not just coincidence.

The effect would probably not occur if a hurricane had a direct path to the Big Island. Then it would strike and devastate.

But if the path skirts the Big Island to begin with, the mountains probably act to amplify movement toward open ocean. Just speculating. Would be interesting to get some hard science on this.
I went to Konaweb to see if they're panicking over there. That forum is lifeless! Has another one taken over?
It would be like putting up two lawn ornaments in your yard expecting them to stop gusty trade winds from reaching your house.

I'm not sure I agree with that analogy.

If you liken ornaments to be mountains then the house would be much smaller than an ant. Microscopic.

I think the mountains will have a significant effect. They almost always have. Much more than a speed bump.
I think a very important point is being missed by those that think out mountains have very little effect on a storm.
A storm reaching high up into the atmosphere is not all that consequential, except possibly as a demonstration of it's strength in being able to push its signs to such heights against gravity.
The bulk of its mass and energy is at the lowest elevations.
From my attempt to ski the top of Mauna Kea and my wheezing for more O2, I remember the figure of 60% of the atmosphere being below 14k', the top of Mauna Kea.
The higher you go the thinner the air gets, the less mass and energy it contains.
There is even less as you go above the tops of our mountains.
Our mountains should have a profound effect on any and all of the the storms that come near them.
I believe that has been confirmed historically, even if only the lore concerning it is listened to.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
Yup.

@Carey "more like a speed bump, can take some of the force out..."
-disagree I think that is inaccurate.

@1V1 "Our mountains should have a profound effect on any and all of the the storms that come near them.
I believe that has been confirmed historically, even if only the lore concerning it is listened to."
- agreed I believe this is accurate.
Welcome Carey to the 'new' punaweb. Where aloha is a ghost of the past.

Peace rwr
Here's that thunderstorm that was previously spoken of.

According to Windy it looks like a half an avocado that covers the who Puna Hilo area. Looks like it has a ways to go then one more 2 more hours away after that.

RWR: Welcome Carey to the 'new' punaweb. Where aloha is a ghost of the past.

Peace rwr

Yeah because we all must agree with each other and pat each other on the back. Heaven forbid they may be a difference in opinion. Golly gosh darn!

[Wink]
Heaven forbid they may be a difference in opinion.

Disagree. Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
Starting to be rainy 'round here..
http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/rainfall/?domain=hawaii

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/28068/web
The windy app is really cool. I'm geeking out on it now with this hurricane.

Not only differences in opinions, differences in what is perceived to be fact. It's natural. Everyone agreeing, and boosting each others ego and restating facts does not equal aloha RWR.