Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.14 Average
Vaccinated People Spread The Delta Variant, CDC Says
(08-10-2021, 07:12 AM)AaronM Wrote: 1)  Why not? Because I choose not to.

2)  Even if the US death toll was 1 million that would be 0.3% which is hardly a number deserving of the "extra deadly" designation. I would think that such a term would be reserved for a death toll in the 10% range.

Considering that the global death rate stands at 0.05%, the entire pandemic response has been nothing more than making a mountain out of a molehill.

Yeah, but *why* do you choose not to?

And if not 700,000, how many Americans would have to die before a mask or vaccine mandate would be justified in your opinion?

We've already lost more citizens than to WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and every conflict since combined. In many of those people were drafted and industries nationalized for the war effort Soldiers were given their uniforms and immunizations and sent to fight. Why should we sit idle now?
Why not? Because I choose not to.

I can respect that choice so long as it remains private, eg, in your own home.

In public, not doing everything possible to prevent the spread of a pandemic is a violation of the social compact. Would it be acceptable for other people to make you sick?

Businesses can choose not to serve people. I am expecting this to become more common. It will make the evening news more entertaining.
It will make the evening news more entertaining.

Yes.  Maybe they can go back to reporting body counts like the network news of the 1960’s.  This time dividing up casualty totals into unvaccinated & vaccinated so it appears one side is winning, as it did then.   Those unfamiliar with historical precedent and a knowledge that when lies are an integral part of their premise, nobody wins.
I was thinking the protests and riots about how "my rights" (only work this one way, my way, never your way or our way).
(08-10-2021, 05:44 PM)kalakoa Wrote: Would it be acceptable for other people to make you sick?

No, of course not, that would be against his civil rights.
(08-10-2021, 05:44 PM)kalakoa Wrote: 1) "a violation of the social compact."

2) Would it be acceptable for other people to make you sick?

1) There is no such thing.

2) Last year I tested positive for Covid.  I didn't give it to myself and I bear no ill will toward whomever I got it from.

I am truly sorry that most of you are so worried about this virus.  I would like to remind you that being in public has never been a safe space.
AaronM, I would really appreciate if you answered my last few questions. I'm trying to understand your point of view.
Random -

I choose not to because I do not share your opinion that covid is serious.

Casualty numbers that would cause me concern? Existential threat numbers upwards of 10% of the population.

Trying to make a war analogy is irrelevant far as I am concerned.
I don’t understand how you can consider this disease to not be a serious. Hospitals have had to suspend elective procedures, face nursing shortages and one state recently requested federal assistance with their response. How is that not serious? If I had a high fever for a week, as you did, that would represent the sickest I’d ever been. Yeah, that’s a serious illness.
Am I worried? Not for myself but for our beleaguered health care workers. This latest surge of hospitalizations was entirely preventable if more had been vaccinated. It doesn’t matter that you in particular wouldn’t go to hospital when so many other unvaccinated are. Of course, some of these won’t accept that they even have Covid so there’s that.
Having 10% of the water leak out of my swimming pool is one thing. Having 10% of the wing fall off of an aeroplane is quite another. A disease that kills 10% of the population is a lot closer to losing that 10% of the wing. The knock-on effects from covid's current 1% fatality rate are already an existential threat to anyone who was getting along OK as long as they had dependable medical intervention when they needed it but who now have to wait in line behind delusional anti-vaxers who have not only gotten in ahead of them but who have poisoned the well for those that follow. Health care professionals are quitting in droves because of the essentially toxic work environment created by those who won't let anybody tell them what to do but turn up at the ER demanding to be treated.