Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Question for Rob on current PunaWeb hopes & expectations
"What I wrote in the foreword of my Kalapana book was heartfelt, it was something that came out on its own, just flowed, so I added it to the manuscript when I turned it in, and like I said the editors gave it the title, the placement, of a foreword. So I look at what others put in that space.. as a clue to something, the point of view of.. their attitude.. the feelings..

That book was a trip. I never thought I'd do something about people. Being up at the vent was one thing, following the lava into Kalapana another.. and that first line.. Love is an amazing thing. Not "fallen" into other than naturally and surely by no design of its own.. really set the stage for what I saw as a testament for the town that could not be destroyed by any force.."

All of "your" books you are named on the front page as the photographer. The 1st book Frankie was credited as the Author.
Why do you claim it's your 1st book. The 1st book you got your pictures in ?
(08-05-2024, 01:37 AM)Obie Wrote: Why do you claim..

You know, if you use an inferior search engine.. anyways data in data out, you know the story..

Have you tried the library?

https://www.librarieshawaii.org

Seriously, search their's. I'm impressed, they even list a book I did that never went to press. It was under contract and such, but I seriously can't imagine how it gets on this list. Too fun. And that was going to be a book about MK. All the photo work was done, each facility photographed extensively inside and out. All the submissions of celestial imagery from the different scopes received and the editors were wrestling with the writer. But it fell through because of budget changes on the publisher's side. No matter, it sure was fun putting it together.

I speak of my books as mine in that I imagined them, I negotiated contracts with publishers for them. I did all the photographs, except historical material and such, I contracted with, created partnerships with each of the writers I worked with, I researched and acquired use rights to all the material I included that was not my own, and I designed the graphics and layouts. Almost every page. And only then as a complete package did I turn them over to the publishers I worked with.

As to getting my imagery published. I owned and operated a stock photo agency for years. My work is in dozens of books, has been used in hundreds of print advertising, and has been a part of museum exhibits, including the Smithsonian, all across the country. My work was the first solo exhibit when, in 1990, Bishop Museum opened their newest exhibit hall.

So whatever you're implying.. have at it. You're just making silly brah.
(08-04-2024, 05:06 PM)ironyak Wrote: Oh the hypocrisy. I don't have to post anything to show you're dumb Tom, you're doing that all on your own. But here's a 2015 post showing you already know the book mentioned and know exactly whom you've been arguing with for near a decade.

As I said just a few days ago, I don't remember the book's name, and what you quoted doesn't have the name either; it was nine years ago and I have other much more important things to do.

(08-04-2024, 05:06 PM)ironyak Wrote: You've been performing this same sad charade for almost ten years. Is this really how you want to be remembered? Acting like a buffoon online failing to juggle your "I have screenshots of everything to uncover sockpuppets" and yet "after ~10 years, I have no idea who this person could be" dual personas? 

Do you mean MyManao is suffering from Dissociative Identity Disorder?

(08-05-2024, 02:03 AM)MyManao Wrote: Have you tried the library?

https://www.librarieshawaii.org

Seriously, search their's.

That's a link to the public library. What term should we put in the search field, MyManao?
I found the book just based on the clues in this thread.  It took all of 60 seconds to piece it together.  Several of you have completely debased yourselves.  There is nothing preventing you from sending these hateful, truly demented messages to each other privately.  Or, do you get your jollies from the public display of your darkness?  You don't feel that the rest of the community deserves decency and decorum?

Nice, private handles you have there...
I wish you all the best.
When a washed up old photographer who “was involved” in three books over 30 years ago, and then comes into a forum such as PunaWeb and calls a woman a “BITCH” and then asks how many times “I dropped my drawers” for the former head of Hawaii County’s Civil Defense and former Mayor, I’d say the term “debased” is putting it mildly. 

And no calls this disgusting piece of human shit out for saying that? 

I wonder what any male poster here on PunaWeb would say or do if some 70 year old man called your wife a “BITCH” or asked how many times she “dropped her drawers” for some public servant? 

And I wonder what the outcome of calling some of you other female posters here on PunaWeb the same names?

Discourse is fine and good to have. But a line was crossed that to me is just flat out unacceptable in any sense of the word. 

This is misogyny. MyMano is a misogynist. A sad disgusting human being. 

I hope you PunaWebbers are happy having this sick perverted washed up disgusting piece of human trash amongst you. You deserve him.
I wonder what any male poster here on PunaWeb would say or do

Sometimes if they say or do nothing, it’s not that they approve of the comment.  It’s not that they think it’s true.  In the world of online forums wildly crazy stuff is posted every microsecond.  

You might be able to defend facts, but it’s almost impossible to defend against opinionated attacks based on nothing.  Sometimes the response of those not directly involved is that silence is golden.
TomK - As I said just a few days ago, I don't remember the book's name, and what you quoted doesn't have the name either;
And like I said, you're fully committed to the bit. Even Obie and HiloJulie weren't willing to pretend to be this dumb for this long. I'd call y'all Larry, Moe, and Curly, but at least the Three Stooges' pie routine is funny. Instead for us it's TomK pies himself in the face, again, day 3190 and counting - will it ever end?

HiloJulie - Discourse is fine and good to have. But a line was crossed that to me is just flat out unacceptable in any sense of the word.
Mrs. "we live in America and I will post here and there and everywhere I desire" takes exception when another contributor exercises the same prerogative? Not a fan of free speech anymore and now want to limit it? Your ideals only run skin deep or only apply to you? So many questions and the sun is barely up.

Punatang - You don't feel that the rest of the community deserves decency and decorum?
I personally do, but that requires individuals who are willing to observe community norms and perhaps some moderation being applied when they step out of line. As we are lacking both currently, there are, unsurprisingly, some crazy shenanigans going on (even people having to delete their own posts when they recognize their missteps and misplaced accusations ;) You might want to stay out of the rougher parts of the neighborhood in the meantime if it offends your sensibilities.

(jarring shift in tone to subjects of more interest)
MyManao - Whereas the church was something entirely different.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if Harry may have been against it as it posed safety concerns especially when trying to commit to an outcome done under pressure & on a timeline (Paio Jr. hints at that in the doc on youtube), or if it was part of a more general stance against preventative measures (as mentioned in conversations with Jack about Hilo). Whatever distinction was/is being made between the efforts at the church and people's houses that makes them different isn't entirely clear from the outside, or at least not to me. Always like understanding Harry a bit better though, as he's an interesting cat, and, of course, has played an outsized role in local affairs.

kalianna - I saw both films but didnʻt get the Maurice and Katia reference until Ironyak elaborated. My lasting impression was that Iʻm glad they found each other because finding anyone else would probably have been difficult for each of them.
I managed to catch Fire of Love over the weekend and have to say while Herzog's The Fire Within has the better footage, his focus on the Krafft's evolution as filmmakers from "tourist home movies" to "otherworldly images" wasn't as compelling to me as Fire of Love's focus on Maurice and Katia's unique personalities and truly special relationship. Fire of Love just included much more of the Krafft's words, presence, and perspective on their life, their love, and their obsessive occupation that better captured their story for me, but I'm not a photographer or filmmaker so interests may vary.

Both are worth a watch IMHO, and thanks for the behind the scenes story from Walter's. Hard to tell when Maurice was being serious or goofing around, but their charm and joy are undeniable, and it's hard not to like peeps that had a "Cousteau phase" to their wardrobe! :)
I have other much more important things to do.

Where "more important" includes online pedantry?

People are free to value their time (or not) as they see fit. As the old saying goes, "I used to be addicted to crack". Now we can have a 15-page discussion about whether the period belongs outside the quotes, because that's what's really important here. In the name of decency. And decorum. Also, let's talk about whether we're getting good value for the property taxes we pay. Because that's obviously why Rob graciously hosts this rich brew of revolting ferment. Maybe someone can write a book about it. With a foreword.
(08-05-2024, 06:18 PM)ironyak Wrote: HiloJulie - Discourse is fine and good to have. But a line was crossed that to me is just flat out unacceptable in any sense of the word.
Mrs. "we live in America and I will post here and there and everywhere I desire" takes exception when another poster exercises the same prerogative? Not a fan of free speech anymore and now want to limit it? Your ideals only run skin deep or only apply to you? So many questions and the sun is barely up.

Free speech can be anything, but there are limits. You can’t scream fire in a crowded theater!

Having said that, yes we do live in America. And in recent times, the acceptance of misogyny has only grown. And it’s fueled by the highest office in America, as we see here.

And while the pure scum of humanity such as MyMano has time and time proven to be the misogynist sick pig he is, he is free to call a woman a “BITCH” as well as ask how many times she “dropped her drawers” for a public servant. 

And the real problem to me is not that MyMano is a washed up drunken misogynist pig, it’s the people who support his behavior, which has gone on here at PunaWeb for over a decade. 

I only wish I could be a fly on the wall and see MyMano call Frankie Stapleton a “BITCH” and ask her how many times she “dropped her drawers” while working at the Hawaiian Tribune Herald.

In the meantime, I’ll refrain from quoting too much and maybe I’ll not post as much. But that does not change who or what I am. Just as MyMano can’t help being who and what he is. (Who from what I can ascertain, is the ONLY one known for deleting some of his more drunken misogynistic posts over the last 10 plus years under several other screen names.)

(08-05-2024, 06:38 PM)kalakoa Wrote: I have other much more important things to do.

Where "more important" includes online pedantry?

People are free to value their time (or not) as they see fit. As the old saying goes, "I used to be addicted to crack". Now we can have a 15-page discussion about whether the period belongs outside the quotes, because that's what's really important here. In the name of decency. And decorum. Also, let's talk about whether we're getting good value for the property taxes we pay. Because that's obviously why Rob graciously hosts this rich brew of revolting ferment. Maybe someone can write a book about it. With a foreword.

And with pictures. Must have pictures. No book is any good without pictures. Must have pictures.
(08-05-2024, 04:46 PM)Punatang Wrote: I found the book just based on the clues in this thread.  It took all of 60 seconds to piece it together.  Several of you have completely debased yourselves.  There is nothing preventing you from sending these hateful, truly demented messages to each other privately.  Or, do you get your jollies from the public display of your darkness?  You don't feel that the rest of the community deserves decency and decorum?

Nice, private handles you have there...

Why not simply name the book? You can claim it only took you 60 seconds to piece everything together, yet you won't provide the evidence.