Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volcano acting up
I look at the surface flows analogus to a bucket of paint spilling out on the garage floor. Whereas lava in a tube is more like water in a gardenhose, a crummy one that leaks, sometimes clogs and bursts, squirting off in different directions.

Nicely put leilaniguy.

Royall

What goes around comes around!

Glen, I like the appeal of your thoughts about lava tubes, if the lava is underground, it is just like a sewer, taking the yucky stuff away. Trouble is, away is always somewhere and the lava will resurface somewhere. If it went into an old tube, it could pop up again where ever there is a collapesed cealing, and that could be anywhere. I just don't think a tube is gona take the lava all the way to the sea. But, maybe I'm wrong.

Aloha,
Rob L
Aloha,
Rob L
Sitting here in the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport departure lounge catching up on Punaweb. (The public library went on a looonnng holiday.) Glad to hear that the flow is still mainly to the South, but we all know that can change. My ears have finally stopped ringing and I am ready to get home. Granny Carr says she might be willing to make a trip to rein in the volcano, but she has heard about Madame Pele and has misgivings about giving offense. Meanwhile, the Optimist Club will be back in residence on Railroad tonight after 7.

Cheerfully on my way home to Hawaii,
Jerry

Thanks heavens "y'all" are on your way back because I'm not sure I could take the strain of being the optimist in this thread another day.

I thought maybe lava-in-a-tube would be a good idea, but as others point out, those tubes are leaky and stuff just sprays everywhere, at 2100 degrees Farenheit. So, just to bring you up to date, Fissure D is puddling up on itself, toying with refilling the perched channel, leaking south a little bit, ponding, seeping but not, thank heavens, fountaining.

I find it fascinating --like rattlesnakes on the front porch.

quote:
The park is now closing Kalapana side entry and trying to enforce it. Trying, not necessarily succeeding.

Exciting times.

We drove out there on Sunday night. No one was stopping anyone. Also could only see the glow but no lava.
so they finally closed down the Kalapana area. We could see some small periods of eruption the other morning while fishing before dawn right above Royal Gardens. One big glow up there

Shane Turpin
Lava Ocean Adventures
how about the upper puna road? I am curious if I can see anything from end of that road.

WOW I found this topic way back on page 3. We seem to be having a good week up on the hill? The lava seems to be heading down the old route south to the water again. I know it's probably only temporary but it's good news, right Glen. Anyone have any other updates on the flow?

"Many dreams come true and some have silver linings, I look for my dreams and a pocket full of gold" Led Zeppelin
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
Yes, let us enjoy this period of relative tranquility while we can. In keeping with my very wrong predictions in the past (for which I am grateful!), I have a new one: Fissure D will, in time, resemble something more akin to Green Mountain. It is slowly but persistently building up a "shield" around the hole. The amount of lava emerging from Fissure D is not great enough to indicate a clear flow direction. But lava loves to come out of Fissure D. I think it is basically going to continue to build a shield around the fissure, which will get higher and higher and become a sort of Pu'u O'o II.

For now, it appears to be disinterested in completely refilling the old perched channel except to the extent of the first pond. This has brought a halt, perhaps temporary, in the more easterly flow.

I think it is going to build a little mountain.