Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power,internet, and bringing a job with you
I have two options that I use now. Hawaiian Telcom. I have a separate phone and DSL for my home office. I was able to lock in a rate at $76 for life, which includes the inside wire coverage. Our house was built in 1987, i figured the wire coverage would pretty much pay for itself when we needed it, and of course, we have. We also have Oceanic cable, wifi and phone for personal. It's the standard package - which i think is about $160 or so. pretty much the same cost as back on the mainland.

I'm in Hawaiian Beaches. I had to call for a few days to get the DSL (must have been just at the right time). I'm never giving it up. Cable sure, if i have to - they'll always come back. But if I give up that HT DSL, there's no telling when i would ever get that back. The HT DSL works just fine for email, WebEx calls and Live Stream through my company's intranet (with our without my VPN on).

The one nice thing about the HT DSL/Phone combo - when the power goes out, then comes back on - they both are working within seconds. the Cable, when the power goes out, it takes a long time for everything to reboot and come back on line.

Oh, and if the electricity goes out, my phone still works (as long as the telephone line's not laying on Kahakai)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Power,internet, and bringing a job with you - by coastal - 08-15-2014, 07:52 AM