Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power,internet, and bringing a job with you
Having gone through this myself recently, here's what happened:

We live in a place only Aloha Broadband services - the speeds are generally horrible and it frequently drops out. Trying to vpn to the company network is a nightmare on aloha broadband - let alone if you need to upload files larger than a few MBs.

Ended up renting a separate studio office in Pahoa for internet access. Landlord told me to go with Hawaii Tel - but it stayed up for about a day and then was down for two weeks. If you need to call support, expect to be on hold with horrible music for at least an hour. If it ever goes down again, I'm switching to Oceanic. But at least for the moment, I get 20 down and 3 up.

Some cafe's and businesses in Pahoa rent internet or share... but it's really slow and over-utilized. I ended up having to use my phone as a hotspot and went over my data plan twice.

So there are some issues... expect to experience a few hiccups that will be frustrating and make you want to pull your hair out - but once everything is working, it's awesome.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Power,internet, and bringing a job with you - by EvilOctopus - 11-25-2015, 03:19 AM