Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Hawaii Decarbonization Settlement 2045
First and foremost, I will say that the geothermal power to date here on this island has been the textbook example of gross incompetence, greed and sheer stupidity. Coupled with the "deity" issues.

Putting a geothermal power plant in the middle of a residential neighborhood is a grossly incompetent as one can get when there are numerous other places much more suitable. I have ALWAYS said that - be it geothermal or even waste to energy - "IF DONE RIGHT............" Nothing with geothermal power here on the Big Island has ever been done right.

But the hypocrisy on this subject is astounding. 

Take me for example. I have been made out to be the biggest thing next to "Satan" on this thread simply because my occupation required tremendous amounts of flying jet planes. And yet air travel is responsible for 2.5% of all manmade carbon emissions causing climate change.

And yet fossil fuels used for electrical power generation are responsible for 40% of all manmade carbon emissions causing climate change today.

But, right in our back yard, we have the potential to tap into a reserve, again "IF DONE RIGHT" that could virtually eliminate the need of burning ANY fossil fuels.

But, oh no - we can't do that!

How's about we look at this issue:

So, I saw this news about Google’s need for “data center” power consumption greenhouse gasses are up 48% since 2019. Granted it’s mostly due to AI Operations, however, it got me to thinking.  https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/03/tech/goog...index.html

As you sit in your home, and let’s just forget how your home is powered at the moment, but you turn on your computer, tablet or iPhone. Where did you but it? Walmart? Apple Store? Verizon? Amazon?

Well, it was made in a plant somewhere in the world, most likely China, and in a huge manufacturing facility that runs 24/7, sucking electricity.

Then it was packaged and shipped. And if by Amazon, may have been in a box in a box in a box. But it was shipped to the store or to your door. In a ship and/or plane and/or truck. All burning fossil fuels.

Hopefully you recycle or reuse the packaging, or you just toss it in the dump.

You turn your computer, tablet or iPhone on and connect it to whatever form of internet connection you have. All online that runs 24/7, sucking electricity.

You type in Punaweb.org which takes you to a website that resides on a server somewhere in this world that is online that runs 24/7, sucking electricity.

You can make your post and you can embed any number of links to any of the tens of millions of websites that reside on thousands of servers all over the world that are all online that run 24/7, sucking electricity.

You can even do my favorite thing and embed a YouTube video that resides on hundreds of servers all over the world online that run 24/7, sucking electricity. Also consider that YouTube commands 2.49 BILLION active monthly users alone.

All of this is possible through billions of dollars in equipment that is either made in a huge manufacturing facility that runs 24/7, sucking electricity or once made runs 24/7, and sucking electricity or both.

Further, it is also possible by the employment of hundreds of thousands of employees worldwide – who all consume electricity.

And some of those employees are required to cross the globe in jets on a weekly basis just to keep it all running so you can watch you cute YouTube video of a cat snuggling a giant German Shepard.

As well as the owners of some of the companies who provide all of this – albeit in their Gulfstream.

So, maybe we turn off the computer, tablet or iPhone?

Yeh, right. Hypocrisy abounds!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hawaii Decarbonization Settlement 2045 - by HiloJulie - 07-05-2024, 08:24 PM