Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prepping for a virus situation
Measles was around when we were all kids. You could get it as a child and develop immunity that served you well as an adult. Possibly the only thing special about this virus is that it is new. We are all seeing it for the first time. If you are young then you may just develop an immunity. If you are old, well....

Perhaps future generations will have Covid-19 parties for their kids.
So, report from Walmart:

They had fully stocked TP including extra on the endcaps etc. No limit to purchase though, saw lots of folks with 4-5 family packs in their carts. Sad

A few liquid soap refills, but no hand sanitizer that I could see.

A decent amount of bleach, but those shelves don't hold that much. I ran out and needed one for my catchment.

Cold/flu aisle was still wiped out. I already have generic Guaifenesin (decongestant with no other drugs) from Amazon, and separately naproxen (advil/anti-inflammatory) and acetaminophen (Tylenol/fever-reducer). There is some talk that anti-inflammatories might not be good with covid, so good to have Tylenol on hand.

They still had multivitamins with C, D, and Zinc. They had garlic pills, didn't see separate zinc lozenges or elderberry.

Walmart now opens at 6am, Target at 7 (don't usually go early, so maybe that's normal).
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

If we older folks are going to be staying home a lot it might be a good idea to stock up at Home Depot and take on some home maintenance or improvement projects to keep busy.

I've already been working on my new goal list of DIY's to accomplish before this pandemic threat is over. The race is on!
Thanks for the update randomq!
Having run, several times, into it being said that COVID-19 is less virulent [or whatever] in warmer climates, I began looking further into it.
The question is still open in my mind, but loosing credibility fast.
Then, I ran into this web page:
https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/tag/covid-19/

One of the links on the page led to a hint that NSAIDS may exacerbate COVID-19.

[March 16, 2020
expert reaction to reports that the french health minister recommended use
of paracetamol for fever from COVID-19 rather than ibuprofen or cortisone]

What I got from this is that NSAIDS may cause problems with COVID-19 when used as fever suppressants.
This seems a reasonable assumption with the correlation between inflammation and COVID-19.
Many NSAIDS are used as anti-inflammatories.
I have been using the NSAID meloxicam as an very effective arthritis anti-inflammatory.

Since I had instituted my [perceived] regimen to bolster my immune response in preparation for the arrival of COVID-19, My arthritic joint pains have all but dissipated.
I am no longer using the meloxicam to make life easier when working out in the yard.
I do not seem to need it anymore.

My reaction is based on nothing more than my anecdotal experience.
Plus, I am a firm believer in results being as effective as proven methods.
As far as I'm concerned, a placebo doing the job is as good as any prescribed method, as long as it works.
I think this may be a possibility.
I trust my regimen to do its job much more than I trust garlic to do what is hoped of it.

I have no interest in anyone's disbelief in my experience, only in where it goes for me.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
NSAIDs like ibuprofen have a small immune-dampening effect.

In the late stages of covid19 induced ARDS, however, doctors are using anti-inflammatories to counter immune system cytokine storm induced inflammation and damage to the lungs. In fact, anti-arthritis drugs are some of the most promising candidates to counter ARDS damage.

Before that stage, anti-malarial chloroquine seems most promising.
If you have been watching Korea stats the last few days, hardly anyone has been dying there. Here is an article of what the Koreans are treating and recommending for Covid-19 patients. https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/...584012321/  The hydroxychloroquine that's mentioned in the article is similar to quinine. The United States have not approved any of the drugs mentioned. In fact U.S. has not approved any treatments yet. Here is a quote from the CDC website. ..."No specific treatment for COVID-19 is currently available. Clinical management includes prompt implementation of recommended infection prevention and control measures and supportive management of complications, including advanced organ support if indicated." Then later goes on to say..."Remdesivir is an investigational antiviral drug that was reported to have in-vitro activity against SARS"... I know I'm watching from the sidelines, but it seems like it would be a good idea for medical establishment to follow Koreas lead on well known fairly safe drugs to use until they figure out Remdesivir. Remdesivir interferes with the the viral replication. It may work, but it is a new drug, and it may be a few years before all the long term side effects are known.
"A person's blood type could affect how vulnerable they are to developing COVID-19—the disease caused by the new coronavirus—scientists believe."

New study from China. Higher incidence of both infection and deaths among A blood types.

https://www.newsweek.com/blood-type-coro...19-1492890
Certainty will be the death of us.
For those of you that don't like to leave the house, there is now a mail order home test for Covid-19. It is provided by an Austin-based company called Everlywell. The article said since there is still a shortage of test, you still have to be screened by a doctor to rule out regular flu. They have their own doctor to do that over phone. It cost $135 and includes a consult with a doctor after the results.
... Also concerning test, 2 days ago, Koreas equivalent of FDA has approved 7 companies to manufacture and export Covid-19 test. Over 20 countries have made orders and doesn't look like U.S. made any orders. Korean tests are 95% accurate, ours are 70% accurate.
Ok I'm surprised! They are taking a look at Hydroxychloroquine. President said it is already approved for Covid-19, the CDC said it isn't approved yet, but doctors can legally prescribe it since it it's been used since 1955. The other similar drug, Chloroquine both anti-malarial drugs, work by bringing zinc into the interior of a cell, where it interferes with replication of the Covid-19 virus. Zinc by itself won't go inside the cell and these drugs acts as a carrier to bring the zinc thru the cell wall to the interior. Also Quercetin, in large doses, is thought to be a carrier of zinc. Currently Canada are testing zinc and Quercetin as a treatment of Covid-19. Quercetin is an over-the-counter supplement and the other 2 are prescribed as pills. Here is the cost of Chloroquine as stated in Wikipedia, "The wholesale cost in the developing world is about US$0.04.[7] In the United States, it costs about US$5.30 per dose.[1]"