Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roundup (cancer causing substance) cases underway
I have a couple of questions for ElysianWort, or glinda.

) Ideally, what additional information would you like to see on food labels? For instance, would you like them to include detailed information such as the seeds used in planting of the crop were non-GMO, but coated with a chemical fungicide by the seed producer?
2) How would you accomplish the transfer of information so you would feel confident of it's accuracy?

From seed developer
>> seed and feed store
>> farmer
>> grain storage
>> truck or railroad or barge transportation
>> food manufacturer who would ultimately supply the consumer label

“We have knowledge that beyond the border there is a wonderful beauty, a space for beauty, for greatness […] if perhaps you can believe in it, if you have such an experience, your life is a little bit changed.” - László Krasznahorkai
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
PaulW - put any and all information on all labels even if there is no evidence whatsoever of it being of any use to anyone? It’s impossible.

It's impossible to print words on packages? Who has crossed that line into a fantasy world now? 67 countries require GMO food labeling, and despite the impossibility of such a requirement, they manage to provide this information for the use of their citizens in making informed purchases. Imagine there's no country incapable of this. It's easy if you try. Some say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
67 countries require GMO food labeling

America has the best government money can buy.
@HOTPE

If you buy organic seeds they aren't coated with that poison crap that all the big chemical-friendly companies use. That is the beauty of organic food. Just the food and nothing else. It is really simple.
You might be surprised how many organic seed companies are owned by the “big chemical-friendly companies”

What company isn’t chemical friendly?

Do you even know what a chemical is?
the beauty of organic food. Just the food and nothing else. It is really simple.

I agree. I think I said something similar yesterday - buy organic, and you can be sure you won't have Round Up residue in your food under current labeling practices.

BTW - Here's a partial list of approved substances for use on organic crops:

Bacillus subtilis
Bacilus thuringiensis

Copper: Copper hydroxide, copper oxide, copper oxychloride, includes products exempted from EPA tolerance, provided that copper-based materials must be used in a manner that minimizes accumulation in the soil and shall not be used as herbicides.

Copper sulfate: Application rates are limited to levels which do not increase baseline soil test values for copper over a timeframe agreed upon by the producer and accredited certifying agent.

Lime sulfer: Including calcium polysulfide
Minerals such as elemental sulfur, bicarbonate, or kaolin clay

Non-detergent insecticidal soaps: As a pesticide, fungicide, or algaecide for food crops
Oils, including petroleum

Rotenone
https://www.agdaily.com/technology/the-l...roduction/

I didn't see pyrethrin on the list but it was a common organically approved persticide in the past
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Yeah rainyjim, I know exactly what a chemical is. Had schooling (Took and enjoyed organic chemistry and biochemistry classes have you?)

Many of those companies now have an "organic foods branch" because the executives of the companies saw how much $ they were losing on "learned" people that demanded better, wanted healthy food and didn't want any more children who are perpetually sick or weakened immune systems or succumb to allergies from a myriad of chemicals introduced through common American food diets/ habits.

I agree that the more developed a company gets, the more corners get cut and the more processing happens. That's why it's best to do like I said in the beginning where you and your neighbors grow and trade organically raised crops. Get your veggies from the hippie girl who sells farm raised organics, not the super market.
You don't want rat-lung you say? Duh, wash and cook.

True HOTPE there is a lot that OMRI has approved as organic but I'll take any and all of those approved chemicals, (yeah JIM, chemicals that are OMRI approved),in moderation, and ZERO freakin Roundup please. Thank you very much and have a beautiful healthful day.

Edited to clarify for soggyjim the schooling
I guess it comes down to selfishness.

Basically you want to abandon all advances in modern science and return to having 90% + of the population as agricultural laborers.

Without large scale production agriculture billions would starve and you wouldn’t have the benefits of an international economy!

Your ideology is infringing on my rights and those of others.

To bring this back to the topic at hand, Bayer has yet to pay any money to anyone for this trial. Let me know when they do (if ever). I predict they won’t.

Glyphosate is perfectly safe when used as instructed on the label, both vinegar and salt have more destructive (and proven) environmental impacts - where is the crusade against them? As HOTPE stated before this crusade against glyphosate is just a spinoff by anti-gmo groups as backlash from their failure to ban GMOs
August 10th: Monsanto/ Bayer ordered to pay 289 million in damages to 46 year old groundskeeper with non Hoskins lymphoma

It will be appealed and overturned, without a doubt.
excuse autocorrect spelling on previous post....should be non Hodgkin's lymphoma