Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pahoa Commercial application @ Council June 18th
From James' post:
"I also share concerns about an application for rezoning of any parcel that is being offered for sale. The rezoning application for Bill 209-12 makes a claim for specific business plans. Given that the applicant does not intend to continue owning the property, it is a legitimate and relevant question as to whether those stated plans are genuine."

I disagree, It is absolutely illegitimate and irrelevant what the current owner's plans are for a that parcel.
A rezoning should be decided solely on the appropriateness of the zoning for the parcel in question.
The zoning will be ongoing regardless of future changes of ownership and uses of that particular parcel.
Zoning is about overall land use, not micro-managing business plans.
James is pandering !!

I hope that all of the special interest groups that James appeals to will look at the whole package.

Anybody but James !!!
quote:
Originally posted by DanielP

From James' post:
"I also share concerns about an application for rezoning of any parcel that is being offered for sale. The rezoning application for Bill 209-12 makes a claim for specific business plans. Given that the applicant does not intend to continue owning the property, it is a legitimate and relevant question as to whether those stated plans are genuine."

I disagree, It is absolutely illegitimate and irrelevant what the current owner's plans are for a that parcel.
A rezoning should be decided solely on the appropriateness of the zoning for the parcel in question.
The zoning will be ongoing regardless of future changes of ownership and uses of that particular parcel.
Zoning is about overall land use, not micro-managing business plans.

DanielP, I agree with your thoughts. Rezoning should be entirely on the uses available under the rezoning. And again, I think if the rezoning is too broad, then the zoning designations need to be split up, and segregated so there is not 48 uses, even if some of those 48 are not even applicable to that spot. It is not the applicant's issue, this is the planning commission/County council's issue to fix the zoning designations. The applicant should not be penalized if these are the rules at the time of application.

As an example, if you take a big parcel and rezone it R-10 for one acre lots, the zoning is not appropriate to the "proposed" use. The proposed use may be 1 house 1 acre lot, but the zoning (R-10) is one residence for every 10K SF (or 4 houses).
The use permit process is more appropriate for the examination of a particular proposed business rather than zoning.
Brief update: Planning Committee voted 5-3 against this bill today. Mr. Blas was absent from meeting.

Didn't get the particulars of any discussion, or who voted for or against.
I hope Mr Blas had a good reason for his absence as this was in his district and I think his vote - either way - is useful information in the upcoming election. Although maybe his absence is the useful information for his constituents, unless it was a life/death, or family emergency that caused him to not be able to attend meeting.
Blas, I believe, was in Pahoa for the opening of the new Senior Center.

The vote is really too bad. Such anti business sentiment might set Pahoa back several years. Nobody with a brain would want to invest money in an anti business town if rezoning is needed. Not when you get hen pecked to death.

The Hilo Boys are probably pleased. Village Center development takes a set back.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
"And the rich man in his summer home, saying just leave well enough alone...cause it's all too clear we're on our own"

GOGD
The Senior Center dedication was at 10:00 AM. When we had a late lunch around 1:00 at Luquins, Fred was enjoying his lunch at a big table with Hanohano and a bunch of other movers and shakers, he was still there talking story when we left. He would have needed a helicopter if he had intended to make the council meeting. If the meeting was in Kona, don't councilors sometimes attend by phone when they have a scheduling conflict?

Is it just me, or is it particularly bold to be so publicly missing a council meeting, where an issue involving a zoning change is being voted on, by having lunch with a bunch of other politicos one block from the site of the proposed zoning change? How is this serving his district? Guess he didn't want to go on the record about a matter of concern to many people in his district right before the election.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Probably so. James too.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator