Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kidney Stones
the Short Stay nurses were great
quote:
Originally posted by Chuysmom

Okay this is crazy. Tony had a kidney stone a month ago. Hugh had TWO and when we were in the emergency room there were two other men with kidney stones there at the same time. What's up????

Carrie...

Actually my SIL was asking since they are thinking of moving here and my brother just had one on Monday (his 8th in 32 yrs) but in a little mountain town in Calif. They seem to think Hilo Hosp is a big step up from their little hospital... hahahahahahahahah

so far I have learned - drink apple cider vinegar, do not use Tums with calcium in them, drink lots of water.... and am passing this info on to them as this particular medical treatment issue is of concern to them.

As for his occupation, he is fireman - been a hot summer, and he has worked tons of OT so not enough fluids maybe.

He is my baby brother so we sent a him a bottle of cranberry juice with a big balloon tied to it with the msg "Punk, Get well soon "... LOL...

Chris may move here?? That's totally cool for you and your Mom too! [Big Grin]

I take calcium at night with dinner...my mom had osteoarthritis and I just wanna be good to my spine. I've never had one, but it looked very painful for Tony.[Sad]

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com
http://www.septemberspirals.etsy.com

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
I spent one thanksgiving in the ER with a kidney stone. At one point I found myself on an x-ray table while the technician, a woman, bustled around. Through gritted teeth I suggested that now I had some idea what it was like to give birth. She snorted "No you don't". I considered asking whether she had both given birth and had a baby, as that is what would have to be the case in order for her to make such a statement. I was weak and vulnerable. I did not rise to the challenge of defending my case.

Anyhow I have since heard, here and elsewhere, that as I had originally suggested there are some similarities. Not trying to steal anyone's thunder, just making an observation. I'm open to feedback but not knee-jerk criticism.

Darn uterus jockies.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio...s/1640771/
Passing a stone and having a big one get stuck is a whole different world. One is not as painful as giving birth, the other much worse; according to my Dr. and my pesonal experience......Back to Puna; The unanswered question is, is there a Lithotripter kept on BI, or Hilo?
I had three kidney stones back in March, never experienced this before. The ER in Hilo did NOTHING for me, they only gave me pain medicine and sent me home with a $3000 bill! The doctor ordered a $2000 ct scan before he even saw me and then spent 5 minutes with me for $750 and just sent me home with powerful pain meds that didn't help.

After a week of unbelievable pain my wife googled natural cures and found lemon juice and organic ev olive oil, yes this cure cost about 25 cents and it works! I took a table spoon of each, mixed it up, drank it and I passed those stones within 15 minutes.

Olive oil and lemon juice can save people a ton of pain, time and money!
quote:
Originally posted by SBH....
After a week of unbelievable pain my wife googled natural cures and found lemon juice and organic ev olive oil, yes this cure cost about 25 cents and it works! I took a table spoon of each, mixed it up, drank it and I passed those stones within 15 minutes.

Olive oil and lemon juice can save people a ton of pain, time and money!

I got that one too on my list for him.

Thanks for the info on the blaster. The answer is we do not have one here if you need one. She was just curious about our medical technology available since they always have to go "down the hill", I said here "down the hill" = "go to Oahu".
Its a huge machine, I doubt they move it.
You kind of lay in a plastic cot full of water
There are two urologists in Hilo. I would avoid Harriharran
Doing some research on another issue - I did find that lead exposure increases the chance of kidney stones - there is a lot of lead in the local rock and lava. Something to think about - uric acid levels are what one would test for as well as lead.

" although blood lead remained significantly associated with uric acid (ss = 0.0156, p = 0.01) when the population was restricted to the oldest tertile of workers with serum creatinine greater than the median (0.86 mg/dL). Next, in models of renal function in all workers, uric acid was significantly (p < 0.05) associated with all renal outcomes except NAG."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15626645