Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helping a Family in need question
Yes, you can contact Anna directly and make arrangements to drop off the donations. Our Company Christmas party is in Kona this year so we are going to hit up Costco while we are there this weekend and see how much stuff we can knock off of this list for them.

I want to thank Eightfingers for his donation of $100 to this Christmas giving. More shopping to do this weekend.

Mahalo,

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator

Punaweb moderator
I also want to Mahalo K.N. for his donation.

Punaweb moderator

Punaweb moderator
So great to hear. If anyone is working off list, I got 3 pairs of shoes, socks and underwear. And my kids insisted on the Hello Kitty game. Hope to drop them off Monday; do we wrap or????
I got a bunch of stuff today too..plan to drop off Monday too...some pants and undies, games and craft sets.
quote:
Originally posted by Cheerio

I am not on island right now, but I heartily second contacting the local schools over other agencies. Schools always seem to have efforts in place to aid families during the holidays. I would LOVE to participate in a larger Puna/island effort next year when we are back in paradise.

A thought: the school I am student teaching in organizes a "holiday giving store". It works great. Clothes, books, and educational toys are set up much like a shop, and needy families and parents can come to "shop" (no money is exchanged; all goods are donated) for their kids. It gives the families the opportunity to shop for their kids in a setting that removes the 'welfare' aspect of holiday donating, and though linked to school, is not AT school. Efforts are in place to preserve family dignity and keep kids unaware that their parents are gifting from charity. There are also separate, simultaneous coordinations of food and meal donations with individual families.

Whatever your religious affiliations (and feelings about consumerism), no child should feel without during this time of year.

WOw - that is a great idea too! The "shop".
I finished this Christmas shopping today. Overspend I'm afraid. I have $100 of my on in this effort and a couple hundred from other kind donors. So I am $120 over budget.

Frankly I need to return some stuff for refund and reduce the pile unless anyone feels generous and wants to hit the donate button at the top of the page.

Mahalo for the help! I will deliver to the school tomorrow!

Punaweb moderator

Punaweb moderator
WOW - I wasn't on at all this weekend and I come back and I was surprised at how many people responded to this. I guess I really shouldn't be as Hawaii has always taken care of their own and most have generous hearts.

We will be stopping by tomorrow to drop off our donations as well. It appears they will have a very Merry Christmas! We got a few Disney Princess Dolls, underwear (boys and girls), socks (boys and girls), a couple of pairs of shoes (boys and girls), some board games/activity centers, numerous Tonka Trucks and some food.

Mahalo nui loa for everyone's help.
I understand the conservative standard of hard work etc. (I do) but if anyone can tell me why trillions of dollars need to be spent on dumb, stupid and unnecessary wars while our people are homeless, I'd like to know. But please don't tell me, "we have to kill them over there before they come over here and kill us."
Wow. That was a quick response. J.K. donated $250 and G.A. donated $50. I thank you both sincerely and will now ask that the donation line for Punaweb come to an end. Further efforts will have to be done by others. I only have time for one more shop and delivery.

Merry Christmas! And Mahalo!

Punaweb moderator

Punaweb moderator