Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Haoles and Friends
You can go to Arizona and wear a bandana, spurs, and a cowboy hat too, but the real cowboys are gonna know you're a wannabe.

No offense, you can go ahead and try it here, but you'll only come off as someone trying to act local; in other words, inauthentic.

Like I said; Learning Hawaiian is another matter.

A good way to "meld" is to join a local canoe club. You'll mix with various cultures and get/stay in shape.
The local dialect is not even as clear, as it is also island and district influenced (many of our local friends can tell someone from Ka`u from Hilo, Puna from Hamakua...)That said, there is also a formal, and informal language.

And there are neighborhood influences, I am in a neighborhood where pidgin was not as much used as Filipino and Japanese ( and most of the people in my age group in our neighborhood did not speak pidgin at home or at school when they were growing up here and most went to University mainland then cam back. all of which has influenced our neighborhood)

That said, Japanese and at least 3 or four dialects of Filipino would be more helpful if I were to truly communicate with each of my neighbors with the language they use at home.... At UH-Hilo,where I am studying, there is a more modern pidgin than my husband hears at work (he works in Kona, and there are distinct differences between the they guys that are from Kona and those from the Hilo side). At the University, there is also a very international student body, with many dialects and languages. (I have missed the Hawaiian Language college being in the middle campus, with the flow of fluent Hawaiian around those classrooms)

Basically, I have fond that to be yourself, try to teach your tongue to smoothly roll out some things, like the street names (Kinoole, Kalanianaole, Kanoelehua so that they roll as comfortably as Kamehameha, Komohana & Kilaeua) thank everyone that corrects any language slips, and learn as much as you can about this amazing place, knowing there is so much more that you may never master, is probably the best way to fit in
Once you are here and see for yourself, a new hauole speaking pidgin, you'll understand. It isn't the way to blend in. And, with many of the locals, you'll never blend in. About the only hauoles I've seen fit in are the ones that have lived here all their lives and went to school here. It sounds natural and not forced as it would be with the new guy on the block. Even a hauole born and raised here isn't and never will be considered "local kine" they are still a hauole.

Royall

Hale O Na Mea Pa`ani

To not accept any individual based on skin color is an instant sign of a soul that needs to evolve.

Luckily, I have noticed this is mostly in older adults. The younger generations are much more evolved in this matter.
It's nothing to worry about. I am not "local" - so why try and be "local". It does get "murky" with the kids though... My hapa niece might be "local"- but she speaks like a transplant- since she is mostly around us (WASPY-speaking types), and she looks dark, but sunburns like us. It's just a giant "stew" of people here. I can't make heads or tails of it. I just try to value everyone I meet.
Julie,

On a side note, you have one of the best viewpoints of the people I've started to notice on this site. just thought I'd tell you that.
Haoli isn't skin color, it's culture. It actually means "foreigner," anybody not from here. So we got black haolis and white ones, yellow, brown, green...

quote:
Originally posted by Oneself

To not accept any individual based on skin color is an instant sign of a soul that needs to evolve.

Luckily, I have noticed this is mostly in older adults. The younger generations are much more evolved in this matter.

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>
Once again, (I've said this before here). The literal definition of Ha'ole is "breath of life - no". I don't call myself a ha'ole & feel it is offensive.
And even when it comes to translation, there is a slippery slope....

For ANYONE here, or anywhere, there is one main resource for Hawaiian translation, (although there is commentary on even this resource & the language college is a great resource to go to) and that is the Pukui/Elbert Dictionary. If you are not using any resource when translating, or using something like word of mouth from a friend of a friend of.... then it is always good to try to go back to a resource that has some standing

If you are transcribing a word and ADDING an okina, then the word may change entirely, as the okina IS a letter... so there is a very real difference in the word 'haole' and the word 'ha`ole'. As with any language, not understanding that there is a difference could create huge misunderstandings.
quote:
Originally posted by DoryGray

Once again, (I've said this before here). The literal definition of Ha'ole is "breath of life - no". I don't call myself a ha'ole & feel it is offensive.

Above we see ignorance in all of its glory...

The word haole has no 'okina (glottal stop) and so does not translate as shown above.

http://goo.gl/uSGQdj

Usage of the word haole predates the arrival of Captain Cook, thus the imaginative attempt at interpretation posited by the above quoted individual is another example of a haole misusing Olelo Hawai'i, with the additional expression of disliking a label which they percieve as somehow being derogatory.

The link I have provided supports my contention while simultaneously refuting the asinine "ha'ole" urban myth.

"Life is labor, and all that is good in life comes from that labor..."
"Life is labor, and all that is good in life comes from that labor..."