Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Island Concerts Summer/Fall 2014
Interesting that Leon Russell played here on the Big Island less than a year ago. That's pretty much unheard of.

Hmmm... maybe he's scoping out an island retreat? Wink

Heard from friends that last fall's concert in Honoka'a was terrific, and the Keauhou-Sheraton show this September should be wonderful as well. Great venue; glad it's being utilized again lately.

Thank you so much for starting this thread.

When we come to visit, the first thing we do is hunt down a Saturday paper that has the events section. Then we go to the public posting places to look at all the flyers.

It's REALLY hard to find information about concerts (especially before we get there), so hopefully this thread will be kept up to date.
Anyone know whos opening for the group AMERICA at the Hilton Waikoloa Village on September 27?
I'm not sure there will be an opening group at the "America" concert at the Hilton. We went to the Three Dog Night Concert at the Hilton a year or so ago and I can't remember any opening group. I do remember that they were having problems with the sound system and the start of the show was delayed. They said they almost cancelled the show because they could not get the replacement equipment they needed, but the show eventually went on. They should have canceled it as the songs were basically unrecognizable due to the sound system failure. Too bad, as it would have been a great show with a high energy "mature" crowd.

We definitely plan to attend the "America" concert in Sept.
I wish we could get Taj Mahal and his band to hop over from Kauai to play with us. His Sacred Island album with his Hula Blues band is one of my all time favorites.

In general the Akebono is such an underutilized facility, this community would support a lot more live music than we get. I think a good booker could have a show in there every week, rotating different styles of music. Reggae one week, country the next, hip hop or a dj for that generation, blues, jazz, old school Hawaiian, new school Hawaiian, even open mic once a month. Doing that rotation would mean they aren't trying to sell tickets to the same crowd every week, but people would get used to thinking of it as a place to go on a Friday or Saturday night. We had dinner in Pahoa last Saturday and it was a ghost town, after walking around we realized there weren't more than 30 people eating in all the restaurants added together.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Taj Mahal used to hang here in Pahoa back in the 70s and 80s. Look around town; who knows, you may see him. Contact him on Kauai and invite him to perform here, Carol ;D
If it smells anything like the bookstore, forget it! Nice line up... Might catch a show. Tho, usually we wait till UH has something good!

-------------------------
To email me click on Link http://is.gd/QMfVEX
I wish we could get Robin Trower to come here and do a show. I've seen him twice, and he puts on a great show. I know his wife recently passed away, but he is back doing concerts again.

For those of you not familiar with Robin Trower:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzcteihsckw&list=FLTY6l6kl8XuWGhIJj4kfUOw&index=30

As a blues/rock guitar player myself, it has been a bad day. Many of my favorite players have passed: Jimi Hendrix; Duanne Allman; Stevie Ray Vaughan; Alvin Lee. And now, Johnny Winter passed away today. That leaves Robin Trower, B.B. King, Jeff Beck, Leslie West, and a few more still with us.
I saw Johnny Winter only once. I have been a huge fan since 1969 when I first heard him play on his Second Winter album.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Saw Johnny Winter at House of Blues in Chicago in the mid-90s. He looked frail then but his blues guitar was as powerful as ever. Loved his album "NOTHIN' BUT THE BLUES with Muddy Waters, James Cotton and Pinetop Perkins, a classic.

Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
But sure glad that Ry Cooder is still with us! (I'm also a big Taj Mahal fan.)

Here's a clilp of Mr. Cooder jamming with famous muppet violinist Pigalotti. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvLkt_0dPP8
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius