Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"We've happened upon a bit of a problem...."
Antique? Bells and whistles do not a website make. This is one of the best blogs on the web.

---------------------------

You can't fix Samsara.
Could PW be frozen on a specific date and locked, then start a fresh second PW, going back maybe 30 days, on a separate server? Searches could present a link, 'search the archive site', which passes the search parameters over to the second server.
Thank you for a great site, Rob!

* I'd rather fail at happiness than succeed at misery *
* I'd rather fail at happiness than succeed at misery *

Generally, it's not a heavy lift to import posts and user data from an older forum database into a new one, but you are right its possible to build a functioning replica of Punaweb with the old posts intact. Then its just a matter of redirecting the nameserver to the new forum. In the past I've done this and left the old forum sitting there "just in case" something went horribly wrong with the new software, the old one could be reactivated with a few keystrokes. Granted all the new posts since the switch would be gone (unless they were being imported) but it was a nice safety net.

Once I was converting a yahoo user group into a forum and was able to capture all the posts but they were in a format I wasn't able to apply to the new user forum. I couldn't do it myself but found somebody who did it for $30 (afterwards they also commented they would never do it for that price again). I wasn't able to integrate the yahaoo posts into the forum software completely seamlessly but I was able to put them into an "archive" sub forum that could be browsed and more importantly came up in the search results just like the main forum. It was possible to do a complete integration, it just wasn't possible for $30. It was "close enough". It was actually a pretty impressive feat for $30 considering that the yahoo posts were not in a database format.
This thread caught my attention, like the Houston I think we have a problem line. Oh well then, nothing to see here. Before I move on i'll leave a link for the next confused troll looking for a serious problem. http://www.dish.com/dig/travel/shark-pulls-fisherman-into-water-and-thats-just-the-beginning/?WT.mc_id=WEBOUTBRAIN-10000&RP=WEB160762&utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=content&utm_campaign=DIG

No way I am getting back in that kayak.
"This thread caught my attention, like the Houston I think we have a problem line. Oh well then, nothing to see here. Before I move on i'll leave a link for the next confused troll looking for a serious problem."

Gypsy, seriously, are you this ungrateful? Rob's hard work and money made this site possible, and you post that?
Look TomK, your cyber bullying is really getting old chap. You really should not have to hold on to your obvious grudge with me any longer, it can be unhealthy. You play golf sir? I would be happy to make the tee time.

I apologize to Rob for my sour sense of humor at times, I do appreciate his time and efforts, not yours at the moment Tomk.
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Look TomK, your cyber bullying is really getting old chap. You really should not have to hold on to your obvious grudge with me any longer, it can be unhealthy. You play golf sir? I would be happy to make the tee time.

I apologize to Rob for my sour sense of humor at times, I do appreciate his time and efforts, not yours at the moment Tomk.

look kid. you are a clown. the stuff you type half the time i wonder if a child wrote it. you have no business discussing anything scientific as it is clear you were lucky to finish high school. your pandering to the host culture is clearly overcompensating for some perceived deficiency of your own.

you want a truce with TomK and others who find you obnoxious? pipe down on the TMT (at least until after its built) and maybe proof read your next missive...

your pandering to the host culture

Confused: pandering is "okay" when Ige does it, but it's "overcompensating" when a Punatic does it?
lavalava,

You've had one vacation recently as I recall and it looks like you are looking for another. There is no reason I can think of that would anoint you a PW bouncer. Others have applied for that position and are gone. Relax. It's not your job.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

your pandering to the host culture

Confused: pandering is "okay" when Ige does it, but it's "overcompensating" when a Punatic does it?

[Smile] Good one, kalakoa!

Mahalo, Mr. Tucker, for all you do to provide this forum. Aloha to you and your ohana.