Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Chickens
No injuries on any of the 7 dead chickens.
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

Forgot to ask if you checked the birds for injuries (they are easily covered by feathers). A family of mongoose moving into the area can decimate a flock in no time. In my experience they eat eggs and chicks but will kill adult chickens without eating them for absolutely no reason. Cats and dogs can do the same thing and to a smaller degree so can hawks.

ETA: dogs and hawks

No injuries means you have an infection or parasite load. Easy to treat, hard to ignore.
What are the symthoms of the birds , do their necks twist , do they stagger when walking, lay down stretched neck unable to open eyes , eye lid rolled up ? Appreciate any info on what you observe . And this is not mites , this is a virus
also, where are you located, generally?
quote:
Originally posted by justthefacts

What are the symthoms of the birds , do their necks twist , do they stagger when walking, lay down stretched neck unable to open eyes , eye lid rolled up ? Appreciate any info on what you observe . And this is not mites , this is a virus

The chickens were laying down, eyes mostly closed, but did move around when I got near them. I did speak with Dr.Kayuna, she did not seem too alarmed. But asked if I find a freshly dead chicken to freeze for analysis. She says the hot weather and rain have caused a rise is infection/virus. But probably not "Bird Flu". I live on Makuu on 19th for those who wonder where this issue is happening.
Thanks for the info I will email
Sorry about your chickens wecelli. Just a thought here, How are the fire ants on and around your property? Anyway these fire ants could be attacking your chickens say at night in their coop? They attack dogs, cats, and sometimes children in the area now if untreated. Hope what ever is causing your chickens to die can disappear quickly for you and your chickens sake. Probably the worst time of year around here for many of these bugs, viruses, and infection causing bacteria.
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Sorry about your chickens wecelli. Just a thought here, How are the fire ants on and around your property? Anyway these fire ants could be attacking your chickens say at night in their coop? They attack dogs, cats, and sometimes children in the area now if untreated. Hope what ever is causing your chickens to die can disappear quickly for you and your chickens sake. Probably the worst time of year around here for many of these bugs, viruses, and infection causing bacteria.

Yes there are fire ants, my cats and dogs have been bit, vet seems to think it is a virus/infection killing chickens. Thank you for your response though.
Did you ever find out what was killing your chickens?