Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uncle Billy's Hilo Bay Hotel Closing
whatever the hotel offered, it was a classic. it was so weird when the restaurant closed. always took mainland guests there. didn't everyone want to see a hula show? one by one old hilo closing, hookala, hilo hattties, koehnens, miss these landmarks...
That review was awesome, and probably accurate. I remember before we moved here and searching for hotels in Hilo I read a review on Tripadvisor, "Uncle Billies Gives me the Willies" and decided to keep looking. We wound up staying at (and returning several times to) the Hilo Seaside Hotel. Although ancient, the rooms were always clean, the establishment relatively quiet, we usually got a good view, and booked via online special always a tasty hot breakfast for free. Not a buffet mind you, but order-off-limited menu quality hot breakfast. We always enjoyed staying there with their great prices.
Finally! What a flophouse...
These three events happening together, the last sugar plantation in Hawaii on Maui closing, Richard Ha closing his banana farming, and Uncle Billy's on Banyon closing, all have one thing in common. They are the Hawaii of yesteryear, of pineapple and sugar cane plantations, of a local workforce that was much younger and worked for a lot less pay with a lot less going for taxes.

Commodity prices and valuations are plummeting. The business demographic is changing, very rapidly. All of old Hawaii is getting really old now, the core economy becomes tourism completely, with tourism support services being the second largest revenue (construction, real estate, auto sales, auto repairs and maintenance, movers in/out, lawyers, etc.).

Hawaii tends to hang on to dead franchises longer than the mainland, so Macy's and Sears might take awhile to shut down. Safeway got sold to Albertsons. That is another thing that is happening, franchises are being taken over by mainland investors. It is amazing to me how rapidly these changes are happening but this island is always changing.

Remember, Costa Rica or Panama or Dominican Republic or Cuba is better. Please move there instead.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Remember, Costa Rica or Panama or Dominican Republic or Cuba is better. Please move there instead.

And on your way out, don't forget to contact a tourist support services attorney to snag the rights for a south-of-the-border Senor Billy's franchise.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Remember Hilo in the 1970, Out door fish auction,Sheraton Hotel complex
now vacant
It didn't close afterall. At least not yet.

"On Monday, hotel owners announced they would no longer be closing. A local hotel operator showed interest in keeping the place open, and that's exactly what will happen. Uncle Billy's Hilo Bay Hotel will switch to new management on Feb. 12 and stay open through Merrie Monarch."
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...ment-hotel

Peter Savio, a Honolulu-based developer, would become the new operator