Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Albizia assassins
> However, if we don't control the albizia, we risk access to emergency services being blocked when they fall over.

The massive ones I was referring to in the original post aren't a threat to the roadway themselves (yes, I understand their progeny could be), otherwise the BIISC wouldn't poison them. They don't recommend treating trees that are within falling range of infrastructure. Unfortunately people aren't taking that advice. Look at the absolutely huge one before the turn off to Nanawale that was poisoned within the last few weeks. I wouldn't want to be around when that starts shedding limbs. I've seen the dead/dying ones fall over too. Someone girdled a tree on my road and it eventually fell over on a power line and kept igniting. Thankfully it was a rainy night. Helco had to come out and clean it up. Get them removed properly by an arborist or get them while they're young. That's where the focus should be. Yes, that might be expensive, but the right way of doing things usually is.
quote:
Originally posted by MattKarma

quote:
Originally posted by leilaniguy

One tree can produce hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of seeds. Didn't Iselle teach you anything? They should be eradicated.

The only thing you are going to eradicate is yourself. Unfortunately, short-sighted views such as this are endemic.

I guess I'm supposed to be insulted by your statement? It makes no sense. One too many bong hits or not enough? Ask anybody in Nanawale or Leilani how they feel about Albizia.
I like your suggestion, Rob!
Ask anybody in Nanawale or Leilani how they feel about Albizia.

If they don't understand the question, ask if they mind being without power/phone/cable/internet every time there's a storm.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

If they don't understand the question, ask if they mind being without power/phone/cable/internet every time there's a storm.

That's exactly what I meant, 13 days without power is total BS. It didn't have to happen. Rob is bang on too, but it should be more than $10 bucks a tree, they should measure the girth and charge accordingly. Yeah I know, trespassing, private property, blah, blah, blah. I'd treat it as an emergency, like a fire, and act on it.
quote:

Oh the poor, suffering dearies.
***Still can't figure out how to spell 'car' correctly***
I can't believe we are revisiting albezia eradication. Chemo is bad, but cancer is worse.
> If they don't understand the question, ask if they mind being without power/phone/cable/internet every time there's a storm.

Have you ever considered that some might prefer to be surrounded by epic nature 100% of the time despite running the risk of being disconnected from the grid .01% of the time? It's strange to me that people want to suburbify Puna. I live in Nanawale, and if you haven't inferred from my posts, think the albizias are bloody brilliant.
quote:
Originally posted by MattKarma

quote:

Maybe one will fall on you.

Do you refer to all residents of the Big Island?

Albizia branches fall on power lines.
HELCO crews fix the power line, creating an operating expense.
HELCO investors are allowed a 10% return on investment.
HELCO asks PUC for a rate increase to cover albizia line damage, so their investors can earn their 10% return.

Repeat every year until albizia trees are removed so damage no longer occurs.

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." -Annie Dillard
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves