Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you prepared for a large earthquake?
Other things to consider are a good first aid kit, cash, and wireless communications. And by good first aid kit, I don't mean anything you can even buy locally. You'll want things like a suture kit, staple kit, coagulant, gauze, drugs, antibiotics, etc. A very large earthquake won't just fill the hospitals, it may make access to emergency services temporarily impossible. If you are stuck without these things think about where you can try to get them, vet offices or people experienced with livestock have those things on hand.

Imagine if there is no electricity or phone service for weeks. Nobody will be accepting credit cards or checks. We only saw that for a few days after Iselle and some people weren't even prepared for that. Good luck getting cash from an ATM or in some cases even the bank. If they are damaged they won't be open and the ones that are open may run out of cash. According to https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12773.htm the federal reserve, only 1.4 trillion dollars exist in printed form and most of that is located outside the United States, however there are hundreds of trillions of "dollars" being stored in banks, loans, and various funds. In other words, almost every dollar that exists only exists digitally. If everybody in the world wanted their digital dollars exchanged for paper ones, it would take the US Mint decades to print them.

After every disaster, even some of the more minor ones, telephones and cell phones are out. Sometimes for a long time. TV and radio may even be unavailable. You can get a pair of GMRS radios at Walmart for around $30 and at least be able to keep in touch with a loved one within several miles (some are rated for up to 60 miles but they seldom work that well). In our experience, they work about 15 miles max. If local radio is out a $30 shortwave radio will pull in radio stations from all over the world so you'll still have access to news. Find a local ham operator and they might be able to help you get a message to your mom in Chicago that you're safe.

The best advice is once you feel that you are prepped to survive a few days without access to anything, see what you can to to make that a week. And then a month. Most people think that disasters are a singular event until they see things like what happened in Japan in 2011 when a huge earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear disaster all happened at the same time. Almost 20,000 of possibly the most prepared people on the planet died. There is nothing saying that we couldn't have a huge earthquake and tsunami happen here and then get hit by a hurricane right after.

ETA: a wound stapler or suture kit won't do you any good if you don't know how to use it. We learned by watching youtube. Make sure you learn how before a situation occurs where you can't access the internet.
Mahalo for the more detailed narratives Terracore, I value your knowledge and expertise that you share, as I feel you and your Ohana are one of those that really are prepared with raising livestock and vegetables for self sufficiency. Most reading either don't have the space, or the knowledge other than what you share.
You are right about a thorough first aid kit, and the ability to use it. I have a small pelican box with all that you have mentioned, i.e.: military medics kit. A buddy of mine packs the same, but more on steroids, as it fills a huge tackle box and he could no doubt perform surgery if he had to.
It is nice if you pre arrange a contact person you could relay that you are safe, and they can call others in your extended Ohana to tell them as airwaves, especially to the affected area, are almost non existent, if not so.
As far as cash, supply, and demand rule. Expect gas, and other basic commodities to be extremely pricey as time goes on, so be prepared food wise in non perishables and barterable goods, and keep them secure. Someone is always hungrier than you. I am working on the habit of keeping a minimum 20 gallons of gasoline with stabilizer, and same amount in diesel, rotating stock as fuel is available to be prepared when it is not.
Again, mahalo Terracore, and all others who have posted to remind us all to be prepared for whatever is thrown our way.

Community begins with Aloha
With gasoline unavailable or very high priced, roads cracked open or heavy traffic going into town, a good mountain bike with a basket and a backpack might not be a bad idea. Making the walk all the way into Hilo for what little supplies may be available sounds pretty daunting, but a bike just may make it doable.

Just don't buy any ice cream.

-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".
Got the ice cream covered:

http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-House-Nea...B00022O5SO
http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-House-Cre...0002YRJ6M/
Another 7.7 in Ecuador. On the news last night they mentioned that we don't have to be too worried here unless it's over 8.0 on the Pacific Rim.
I wish everyone could have a box or table built from heavy iron so we could get under it during a large quake. Then if the roof falls, it would hit the iron table and not us! Like an above ground bomb shelter.
quote:
Originally posted by sistersue

I wish everyone could have a box or table built from heavy iron so we could get under it during a large quake. Then if the roof falls, it would hit the iron table and not us! Like an above ground bomb shelter.

Pretty unlikely that your roof would fall in on you unless you live in a really dilapidated house.

I was in an older house on Hilo bay during the large 7.2 quake in November 1975. The structure shook hard for what seemed to be 2 or 3 minutes, but the roof didn't seem to be even close to falling in. I don't recall hearing about any homes that had their roof fall in.

This was the biggest earthquake Hawaii had experienced in over 100 years. The Big Island could have an even larger quake than the one that hit in 1975, but it still would not likely knock your house down or cave your roof in.

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/earthquakes/destruct/1975Nov29/

Almost forgot for what it is worth. Go to the FEMA website, and download all the aid applications and supporting forms and fill them out accurately. Provide documentation they ask for, and put it all in a strong box you can grab and take in an emergency. You do not want to go through that line twice, believe me. Many people were screwed in Katrina because they either did not have the proper forms filed the proper way, or had errors, bounced back and a bugger to check as you can imagine the complaint line attitude. Read the information and put your forms in order in your file for ease of locating to give them to make it easier and faster to get the aid available.

Community begins with Aloha
Earthquakes are more of a problem in high density population areas, vertical buildings and structures. If you are far enough away from any falling trees and power poles, it is better to ride it out by running outside, instead of finding a place in the house for it to collapse on you. After Tropical Storm Iselle, you kind of find out Hawaii island is the best place to be in a disaster. It was inconvenient without the electricity and running water for a few days, but I just put out buckets over night to catch rain water and used that to flush the toilet and wash dishes. It was kind of boring but the car provided USB charge power for the tablet and phone. Have a small solar generator to LED bank for reading at night. Actually, the storms, earthquakes and lava flows have been more about reading a lot, hibachi cooking, feeling bored, and just laying on the beach chair outside, waiting for roads to get cleared.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Iselle taught me that I can easily do without electricity, just like my great-grandparents and all the hundreds of generations before them.
Glad I haven't wasted money on a generator (or two!).