Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiian DNA in soil atop Mauna Kea?
Isn't it amazing that none of these issues were even remotely relevant until someone wanted to invest $1.4 billion?
No one EVER built atop Mauna Kea until the astronomers did. Hawaiian population numbers were low when the initial structures went up and no one possessed cell phones until this millennium. Consensus is a funny thing. It requires numbers and access.
Maybe it's not about money or maybe it is but either way Hawaiians are here to stay.

Respect for the past is the key to opening doors to the future.
Many of the hotels in Waikiki were built on Hawaiian burial sites...BUT the bones were first transferred elsewhere designated by the kahunapule followed w/a Hawaiian ceremony. Some of the hotels like Hale Koa Hotel (where I worked for a # of yrs) and next door, the Hilton Hawaiian, are among some that are haunted...so claims many employees over the years.

Bones were discovered during the H3 construction. Same procedure after ensuring it wasn't a homicide. Our neighbors across the street (2nd owners) in Kailua, Oahu decided to put a pool in and while digging came across some bones. Police were called. Around the time of the disturbance, haunting's began in their home. They closed the ground back up, had a Kahuna come out and bless the property...no pool.

Edited to add the rest of the story...no pool but they can walk to a white sand beach in 2-3 min. Who knows if their decision would've been different if not for that...
Of course, utilizing a link from Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Program is cogent to this issue, and if the OP had actually READ the link from their quote: "Federal laws protecting natives grave sites:
http://www.phmc.state.pa.us/portal/commu...-laws.html "
the OP would have found that what I stated still holds true. It is not ILLEGAL bulldoze cinder cones nor move, remove or change native burial sites, as long as the procedures in place are followed. The procedures that must be followed are based based on the landownership, location, project funding, and impacts, it can be done in a LEGAL manner!

When I have worked around culturally significant sites here, I have used the HAWAI`I State BSP guidelines.

I hope the Hawaiian people can throw off the yoke of the oppressor; that is, the misguided non-Hawaiian folks who claim to speak on their behalf while trying to run the economy into the ground.
the 'Hawaiians DNA on Mauna Kea' note is funny. youre trying for compare a finding of DNA in a cave's sludge thats tens of thousands of yrs old, to trying for find DNA on a cinder cone thats constantly sloughing off exposed to harsh elements every minute of every day... the first humans/people making it to the top of Mauna Kea would only be a few hundred yrs old at best .. and the only ones that lived there for any amount of time to leave DNA was the atze makers... they did find seeds at some of their shelters that prove popolo was here pre1778... so is now known as indigenous ie Solanum americanum

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
I posted this earlier on the TMT thread, but realized it might be more appropriately placed here:

With genetic dirt testing being an actuality

ohiagrrl,
You might want to read more about genetic testing in soil, I don't think it's what you think it is. The process is extremely site specific as dna breaks down over time.

Also, dna does not just derive from dead bodies and bones. If you go in for a dna sample they generally swab saliva from your mouth. They don't take a bone sample. Humans have probably spit, dripped blood, urinated, defecated and more without dying almost everywhere on this planet over the last 200,000 years. Your argument is that if dna is discovered in a soil sample, that location is a sacred, kapu burial site. How would you determine that? What if someone just had a cold and blew their nose there? Do you have a way to determine the difference, or is nose blowing kapu too, just to be on the safe side?

On the fifth day - the scientists who studied the rivers - were forbidden to speak - or to study the rivers. -Jane Hirshfield's poem on creation
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
For those researchers searching for DNA in the "soil" on Mauna Kea, please be aware I left some of my own DNA in the ground after falling and tearing up my knee and leaving lots of blood in the ground several years ago. It's about halfway between Gemini and UKIRT. I would hate it if my DNA contaminated the results. Please also be aware that several tourists have thrown up all over the place due to the altitude. I do not have the information to hand about where all those incidents occurred, but several were just a few yards east of UKIRT.
leilanidude wrote:

"The area where TMT should be going, has no evidence of burials."

Neither does it have any cinder cones.
I reckon there is human DNA all over this planet. We tend to kill each other or die in the most inconvenient places. Why do we care about DNA that may or may not be in a cinder cone?