Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lessons you have learned building on the island
hi david,

thanks for the site, will be good for me to compare and see if i can even do a project like this or just manage the one piece project

mahalo

noel

Hey PunaGirl,

Still looking to get rid of your aquarium...?
I could be interested. email me at hazenkomraus@hotmail.com or phone (858)232-0914. thanks

hazen

PS the whole shipping discussion is very interesting, i've been lokking at shipping lumber from LA.

I am still looking to give this away Hazen but it is here with me in Atlanta. David M lives in Atlanta too and he seems to be shipping a little of everything to BI so I thought that would be a good way to get rid of this 125 gallon monster!! So if you are ever in Atlanta you are welcome to it!

Atlanta/Pahoa
Atlanta/Pahoa
More of a learning lesson, than a lesson learned - I've posted on Hilo web, http://hilo-web.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=112&highlight=
my thoughts on building a catchment system. If anyone wishes, I'd appreciate your comments, suggestions, etc.
Thanks
David

Ninole Resident
thanks for posting that link on catchments david...to minimize issues with algae, i plan on purchasing those larger 4000 gallon tanks at chem tanks, unfortunately thats the largest size that they carry....i have a large 10000 gallon tank that we use here in sonoma and we have no problems with it.

noel

Good morning!

I have been wondering about the pros and cons of building on a pad versus post and beam. On the rainy side usually the houses are built off the ground to allow air flow (and maybe to discourage bugs?) but I've been reading about people building on pads in Puna. Perhaps new building materials resist moisture and bugs bettah?

I hope that everyone will weigh in with their opinion on this.

april
april
My two cents is really my neighbors, and he convinced me. Up in Glenwood where we have soil for 9 feet, "evrything settles. On a slab the house leans off to one side. On post and pier it does too but youy can jack up and re-suopport a pier site. Besides, when the slab shifts, it cracks and so do all the pipes, etc... With post and pier, you can get to all the pipes, etc... underneath."

So, that's one argument. Weigh it yourself. Smile Pam

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
In most all situations the primary benefit of a concrete slab for a residential space is cost - they are generally cheaper.

A raised floor offers many benefits which are good for the home and good for your health. I think a raised floor is always worth the extra cost. But I understand why people choose concrete slabs to live on.

Benefits of a rasied floor include:
1. more bounce and flex response to walking - this is easier on your hips, knees and joints over your lifetime of walking on the floor.
2. access for servicing the building's electric, plumbing and telephone systems. This is not a small thing. If an earthquake occurs and a water pipe breaks do you really want a jack hammer in your living room?

3. The issues about air flow under the house relates to wood frame buildings which, too often, rot here. Stay away from wood and you stay away from termites and rot.

Chairman, Punaweb Committee, MSPA

Edited by - Rob Tucker on 07/09/2005 22:15:07
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Here's another, hopefully lesser consideration.
We are building on a slab, primarily for handicap access. Post and pier require 24" between floor and soil, so some combination of steps and/or ramps.
David

Ninole Resident
Thanks for all your ideas and replies. I appreciate them!

David, I have recently been very aware of building for access since I've cared for my mom who has a lot of mobility problems. The lip around the shower is one of her greatest obstacles. So the house I am building will have no steps into showers, higher toilets, wide doorways, etc. I haven't put much consideration into the kitchen, but it would be wise for me to do that, too. Like building some lower counters at least. My friend, Charlie, who is a contractor, believes that ramps are always possible for any house. I suppose he's right, but I've always liked being able to step right outside onto earth.

I've been reading the information on water storage and it has me scared to death (list of possible diseases). I like the idea of building the concrete holding tank under the lanai--but that doesn't seem to satisfy the fire dept. wish list. Would that also make it difficult to check for cracks, etc. I really didn't realize there were lots of earthquakes on BI.

Please continue to add your opinions on slab versus pier and post everyone! This is great. I'm learning a lot from all of you.

april
april