Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Tropical Weather heading our way
Yea Bananahead good info. Most of us kamaainas know though that the mountains are sacred. Blessed be Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea for keeping us safe and prayers so those mountain's safety shield continues.
Carey, I'd 100% agree with you if 1) it weren't mandated, but was instead optional, and 2) if I had any confidence whatsoever the insurance companies would actually pay out if/when we have a hurricane. They, their auditors, their underwriters all know this is very unlikely as well, and almost certainly don't have the funds to pay out if there is major hurricane damage to windward Big Island. Hopefully I'm wrong. Actually, hopefully I never need to find out.
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
The NOAA GOES WestTPAC water vapor image has a nice image of the 3 storms, the one thatpast us & is degrading & the 2 coming here...
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/tpac/flash-wv.html
Justin,
As long as we have mortgages the lender is basically a co-owner of the property with us. They want to protect that investment. I could see giving people the option to only insure the portion of the value the lender owns, so if you had a $250,000 replacement value and a $100,000 loan you could take the risk on your share and just insure for the amount you owe.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
My hurricane insurance here in HPP has a $7,000.00 deductible. So unless my roof blows off...I'll probably be footing most of the bills anyway...
Justin, two comments: 1. Carey has been a solid source of factual information and resources on Punatalk. Don't have any idea what your snide "if weren't mandated" comment means. Do you?

2. You might as well not talk about the big, bad. lying insurance monster any more. I was a commercial insurance underwriter for a couple of decades in Honolulu. You clearly haven't the slightest idea what auditors, underwriters or insurance companies do. Valid claims are paid even if the company goes bankrupt. The Hawaii Insurance Guarantee Association was created for exactly that purpose.

But no one wants to pay for insurance...until they need it then they wish they had a lot more.
Peter -
I've always been curious about what happens to my premiums.
What percentage of an insurance company's gross profits in an average year, goes to pay claims?
What percentage above expenses is invested in stocks or bonds?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Looking at the water vapor map that Carrie posted it appears that Julio is advancing on Iselle, and I was wondering what the possibility is of Julio catching up and the two storms uniting as one. Would that then create a superstorm? Anyone have any ideas, and I prefer scientific observations and facts over anecdotal evidence or a faith based belief system.
Atlantic hurricanes have joined (usually much more water) Iris was one of the ones I remember...

Looked it up, two vortices combining is the Fujiwhara Effect & helped create Hurricane Sandy.... YIKES
http://www.climatecentral.org/blogs/how-...to-us-1517

Back off Julio, leave Iselle ALONE!
Thanks for the update, Carey. This is also taking the same path as Iniki, and combined, is a concern. The scary part is they can turn without warning, and all predictions go out the window.

When on Kaua'i for a few years, we had one (1) hour before Iwa hit (1982 I believe), and it was devastating. Thank goodness we have better equipment today for predictions, but it's still scary as hell!

Please check on the kupuna in your area and make sure they have ohana to help them, and if not, give them your number, as 911 may take a while in Puna. Please.

Be safe all. JMO.