Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shoulda stayed home
United leaves a lot to be desired after the Continental merger. .....Most of all the lack of chocolate sundaes in first.....my eight year old seatmate and I were lamenting about that on our last transpacific flight.....remembering them from our Continental flights in past years. I do not know who was more disappointed, me or my jr seatmate - her gramps had promised she related sadly...as I gave her my cookie and drew a map to Kens a napkin for her Mom...

I think (if memory serves) was Branson and Virgin were making the trans polar twin engine etos noises - maybe just some hype.

Branson seems to be the free publicity master - he was scheduled to dive the trench as well ( see 5 dives) that promise never happened either (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/05...45027.html) - from 2011

Last day or Reno air races today for you aviation buffs - finals today...7 aircraft heats in the jet class this year - good turnout more air race than air show this year as well all good stuff.

edit --- spelling and thumb errors - hate this small format and my lack prehensile thumbs - grin
About a decade ago - Air Canada had a direct flight from KOA to Amsterdam .A night flight over the pole .
At the time we would vacation back in London and the transportation systems of Europe are far superior to most area's of the U.S. of A .
The Chunnel had just been opened and we opted for ground transport and euro-rail pass as opposed to air transport.
Not sure if Air Canada still offers this same flight from KOA to Amsterdam but if they do,was the best direct night flight we ever took.
We enjoy traveling on Christmas Day as the flights are basically empty as all the humans are at their destinations prior to Christmas Day.
If any one here is flying to Europe,we strongly suggest Air Canada out of KOA and it is only once per week.Book Early is our suggestion.
At the time,our RT fare was a bit shy of $ 600.00 USD .

Mrs . Mimosa
Only direct flight I can find by Air Canada from Kona goes to Vancouver and it's operated by a company I've never heard of, AC Rouge. Don't think a direct option to Europe is available these days. I checked other sites and couldn't find any direct flights between Hawaii and Europe, so suspect it's not currently an option.
quote:
[i].
So my question is to any frequent fliers, are airlines getting more touchy about weather

A while back, We had a flight on United and before we left Hono to Denver there were whiteout/blizzard warnings. I asked the airlines to book me somewhere else, put us on another flight, alternate route, anything but, they would not. I couldn't believe they'd fly into Denver like that, the stewardess were worried all the way. I Was hoping they'd go to an alternate airport BUT, NOOO. We landed safely, I guess, I'm still alive, the last plane before they closed the airport. . BUT then we were stuck and abandoned by all the airlines inside the air port for 2 dam days! That's a real treat, I mean, all of the airline employees either left the airport or hid and scurried away to keep from being caught or answer questions. Security wouldn't let you out of the Concords unless you had a boarding pass to get back in so, we were suck, left alone with 100's of others, abandoned passengers sleeping on the floors, looking for food etc.

Would have been more than happy to sit in hono and wait it out.