Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
"Work Efforts Beneficial For Everyday (Puna) Society"
(05-11-2023, 10:05 PM)leilanidude Wrote:
(05-11-2023, 07:49 AM)TomK Wrote:
(05-11-2023, 05:19 AM)Obie Wrote: My Granddaughter knew about it and was there.

As did countless people on the island, all knowing when AstroDay was happening and all interested in astronomy and science; families from the youngest kids to grandparents. Obviously, that didn't include 'elepaio and his family.

TomK - you have repeatedly proven to us all that you are a basic jerk and cannot stand this person so why not stop responding to their posts? You should try the ignore feature. It would help out the entire forum.

You know, perhaps you should listen to your own advice. I don't reply to most of the illiterate rambling here, but sometimes I feel it's worth pointing out when people post nonsense science, such as yourself. No, helicopters don't make more noise when they are a mile off the coast compared to 1500-ft overhead, and no, scientists have not said that heavy rainfall caused the 2018 Kilauea rift eruption. Quoting a three-year-old article that was immediately rebutted needs to be responded to because people without a scientific background might believe your nonsense. 'elepaio and his socks just post gibberish, but you try and post as if you know something about science but you don't. To me, that's more dangerous to society than the babbling of the local lunatic because everyone knows they're the village idiot.
Dear Mr Tomas, put down the hyperbole and cite / bring some receipts to your claims of above, not just run your mouth. Please bra, help me find those lost socks ..
"more dangerous to society" Free speech is not dangerous, even if it is horribly, terribly wrong.

Let us not start down the Orwellian path of ruling whose speech is worthy of being free and whose isn't based on some vague notion of 'safety'.

Stupid is as stupid does and no amount of social legislation is going to affect that.

#censorshipsucks
no amount of social legislation is going to affect that.

But social legislation can provide context that is missing now.  Back in the old days before 1980 broadcast stations were required to provide time for opposing points of view.

With the proliferation of editorial/opinion shows posing as news, people believe they are watching the news without realizing it’s often conspiracy theories and fiction.  If Fox “News” for example were required to broadcast factual opposing points of view for their viewers, they would have a chance to choose between stupid and reality.  Maybe not all of them, but some would recognize nonsense if they had an opportunity to compare it with the facts which they rarely hear.  
Case in point, I checked the Fox news website following the $787,000,000 judgment against the network re dominion voting. Not a word about it.
Certainty will be the death of us.
(05-13-2023, 09:32 PM)kalianna Wrote: Case in point, I checked the Fox news website following the $787,000,000 judgment against the network re dominion voting. Not a word about it.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/fox-news-m...on-lawsuit
Wahine

Lead by example
Thanks, Wahine. This was posted the next day, after I checked.
Certainty will be the death of us.
Saw a really awesome live show on CNN the other day. Hope you all here didn't miss it.
(05-13-2023, 09:32 PM)kalianna Wrote: Case in point, I checked the Fox news website following the $787,000,000 judgment against the network re dominion voting. Not a word about it.

https://press.foxnews.com/2023/04/fox-ne...settlement

https://www.foxnews.com/media/fox-news-m...on-lawsuit

https://www.foxnews.com/video/6325345855112

https://radio.foxnews.com/2023/04/19/fox...-delaware/
What I like about Punaweb is that there is (equal?) time for opposing viewpoints.  If someone posts a comment that is demonstrably false, someone else has the opportunity to provide more accurate information.  Cable editorial stations only provide one side of a story, if that.  kalianna is closer to the truth than wahine.  My sister who watches Stupid News has been sending me crazy stories for two weeks now.  I go to Stupid News and sure enough America (including Puna) is on the brink.  The two big stories the last two weeks were either buried at the bottom or on some tiny side click.  Two headlines for several weeks on most news sites were barely mentioned on Stupid News, and the story was about them as kalianna noted. On the day the case settled they posted 2 brief paragraphs saying the judge congratulated them for some aspect of the proceedings, and it was the 20th story on their front page. I counted.  It quickly disappeared.  

Punaweb is really fair, and really balanced, and that's hard to find these days.  But it takes people being able to post a reply, and another viewpoint, and even another thread if necessary should an OP delete a thread, countering (you might note) real freedom of speech and censorship.